Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need that hard to find resto part? Got a picture of it?

Pretty cool and makes you think of whats possible. Where I used to work we had a rapid prototyping machine which is similar, but it was nowhere near as fast as this thing.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the idea of taking one of these into space and just having a database with millions of parts, tools, whatever you could possiblly want and be able to create it as needed with this was awsome. Just like the "Jetsons" lol.

Grow your own IA2 engine block and some Tiger heads, just download the prints and dump in a bag-o-stuff and whammo... so cool. I think I'd do a 10-71 blower first.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
A friend of mine owns a machine that does this. I thought about creating a couple spare body parts....problem is, it only duplicates the shape, not the material....hence, plastic hand, foot, etc (I felt the need to clarify the parts in question)......VERY cool machine....he has some small prototype parts for his business, and a set of salt &pepper shakers for the lunch room. :cheers Eric

·
Registered
220 Posts
We did plenty of fused deposition modeling and rapid prototyping at Cal during my mechanical engineering studies. They were always adding new materials and gizmos and modes.

I suppose you might be able to use rapid prototyping to create a mold from which you could then create your desired restoration part in the proper material... but then, if you could do that, just save yourself the trouble and use the computer know how to CAD up some actual molds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts