Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all that replied to my hot start problem. I sort of figured it was a combination of an electrical/cheap parts problem. I am addressing that problem in the next few days.
I finially got to the point where I will drive it 10 or so miles away from the house. Here is what I see going on now.
Once it has heated up, the idle will usually begin to get real low while at a stop light. I have to put it in neutral and give it a little gas. It gets so low that I think the motor will cut off. With the hot start problem happening, I don't want it to die at a stop light.
Should I just have the timing checked or is it something more happening? Other than what is mentioned above, I do not notice any other problem with the running of the car.
Once again, thanks in advance.
Brian

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like the engine is strong but may be suffering fuel starvation like a mild vaporlock condition. It could be any number of things like underhood air temp, fuel line location. Did someone add an inline fuel filter and does it or the fuel line run up the front of the engine? I have seen a number of problems arise when the filter is right up by the thermostat housing. If you are running an inline filter the best location is low before the fuel pump and the fuel line should be all steel from the pump up the side of the timing cover across the manifold just behind the t-stat housing and into the carb. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try adjusting your idle when the engine is fully warmed up (usually to around 700RPM). You may be getting a false sense that the idle is ok by adjusting while it is somewhat cold and the cold idle cam is still engaged partially (you may need to adjust that as well). Good luck.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I agree with the idle speed/mixture. I would try richening up the mixture a tad (try turning each screw counter clockwise about 1/2 turn and see if it speeds up. If not, adjust the curb idle up a bit. The fuel filter at the T-stat is the stock location for '66-up HD cooling cars. My '67 convert has the big in-line filter there, with the fuel vapor return line. No issues even here in Fresno, where it's been well over 100 degrees this past week......

·
Registered
220 Posts
Geeter - What do you mean by HD cooling? I've never seen that term before.

100th POST! Only took me almost 2 years though! Haha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts