Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located a couple of dealers that just got some 05s in. They are going to let me having it at Supplier discount plus using my 1500 rebate.

Well, here comes the problem. One of them said I would probably do better to sell my car to Carmax because they probably give you more money. I was like damn, it can't be that damn bad. It was just 33,190 when I bought it(paid 27k after taxes really) a month ago, it can' depreciate that bad..

****, i went on edmunds website and a perfect condtion car will sell for like 24k. Damn, i see what the dealers were giving the 04s away... :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
At some point in life, all of us realize that we have been screwed. You didn't think that the incentives on the '04s meant depreciation would be minimal at selling time did you? The value of the '04s will likely plummet faster than Bush's popularity in the next few years. You might as well keep the '04 because you may have to wait a very long time before you recoup any money from the purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our only chance of not losing our shirts on a trade up to an 05 is for them not to sell well. Maybe next fall after the 06s are out there will need to be a big rebate to clear out any unsold 05s but that can't be counted on to happen. Gm has sold 10,000 more $50,000 Hummers than GTOs. Our cars so far haven't caught on thus the huge depreciation. We can't brag about walking out on deals for $24,500 and then bitch about having to pay $10 to $12 thousand to trade up to an 05. Buying a new car has to be about the quickest way to squander money known to man.

G

·
Here Here

I Dont Care If You Had The "hope Diamond" The Used Car Guy Would
Say Where Did Ya Find This Chunk Of Junk? If You Dont Like The Offer
Dont Trade,enjoy It For What It Is Yea I Guess I Feel Cheated Now!
But Its The Car Business! Remember Sure Beats The Hell Out Of Driving
A Mustang!!!!! You Start To Die At Birth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remember, it is the car BUSINESS. The dealer is not there to be your best bud or to help you out of an (perhaps) ill-considered decision to buy an '04. He's there because he plans on making money. That means buying things (like traded in cars) for less than he can sell them for.

Think about it. '04s didn't sell until GM put huge rebates in place. The effective selling price was what, about $23,000? How long do you think a used '04 will sit on the dealer's lot along with the newly-arrived '05s? The dealer's got to wonder "will the 05s sell or will they be sitting on my lot too?" These are the kind of variables that go into determining the value of any trade in.

I'm guessing the dealer offered you 12-15K.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ramairws6 said:
I Dont Care If You Had The "hope Diamond" The Used Car Guy Would
Say Where Did Ya Find This Chunk Of Junk? If You Dont Like The Offer
Dont Trade,enjoy It For What It Is Yea I Guess I Feel Cheated Now!
But Its The Car Business! Remember Sure Beats The Hell Out Of Driving
A Mustang!!!!! You Start To Die At Birth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Yes,,I was goiing to trade in a car with a KBB of $7600,,,and the dealer offered me $5000,,,,,Iii sold it privately for 6500,,,which another dealer said was normal for this car,,,about $1000 back of book,,,,so don't take KBB or Edmunds too seriously,,,,,prices vary,,,especiallyy if it is a Lux car or rental type,,,a previous Grand am, I was offered 1500 back of book,because so many previous rentals around!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.