Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a buddy that is trying to rebuild a 06 M6 GTO for someone. They pulled the motor and took it to a shop where they cleaned the engine, and had to replace the crank. Once they received the engine back, and put it back in the car, the motor didn't run right. Sounds like it's running on 4 cylinders, so they replaced the cam gear and it still ran like crap. I went over to help pull the motor back out last weekend, because our new conclusion was the reluctor wheel, which we are being told by the engine shop that, that looks fine, and we tested each coil, and found that cylinders, 1,3,4,8 were not firing. Anybody have a single clue what this could be? They put new coils on, and wires, we had all grounds on the engine down, and everything connected... Have no clue what to do next. Thank you for your time.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Did they put the right crank in it? Seeing as it's the only thing replaced (besides I assume the bearings) I would wonder if it had the right reluctor wheel. There are two different ones a 24x and a 58x. LS1s all had 24x wheel and LS2s had either 24x or 58x depending on when the motor was built.

Reluctor Wheel 24x & 58x ? - LS1GTO.com Forums

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah new crank. My buddy said the shop said the reluctor wheel looked fine. I was also told all GTO's came with the 24X because of the PCM the GTO uses.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Did they give you back the old part? You could check it to see which one it had. I've seen reports some odd '06s had the 58x reluctor. With what was done my money is on that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Forgot to ask you... When you guys took it back apart, Which reluctor did it end up having in it, 24 or 58?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad they found it. Many times when you change a part and it doesn't work it was the part.
Haha yup! well we are about to put that motor back in and see if she runs right sometime soon. Doing my Longtube headers on my 05 m6 and motor mounts and a tune today.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
If you have the motor out disconnect the steering shaft and lay the driver's side header in there before you put the engine in. It will make it so much easier not having to drop the steering rack later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts