Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
b&m or harrop shifter

gmm riphifter is a little to expensive for my budget...so im trying to decide on the b&m or the harrop. what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've got a B&M. Finding 3rd and 4th is a pain every once in a while. It's enough of a problem that I'd never consider speed shifting my car.

No personal experience with the GMM or Harrop. However, based on what I've heard, you'd be better off waiting and picking up the GMM.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Jonnebgood did a write-up on a GMM shifter compared to the B&M. He actually replaced his B&M with the GMM. He had comparison pics and everything. I'll try to find it for y ou. My advice is that of a carpenter, measure twice cut once!

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
:agree The 3rd and 4th gear thing can be aggrevating, I'm considering the GMM after reading the post he speaks of! Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like b.a., I have a B&M. It has been a contant hassle to keep it from leaking, due to piss poor design...but It is light-years better than the rubber, vague feel of the long-throw OEM shifter.

SCCAGoat has posted a great thread on this site on swapping out his B&M for a GMM...and he sounds very happy with the GMM.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the Harrop now with 1” cut off stock handle. I like it because its stock location, quiet and feels more like car should have come. Good for driver may not be best for racing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
WOWHUH said:
Jonnebgood did a write-up on a GMM shifter compared to the B&M. He actually replaced his B&M with the GMM. He had comparison pics and everything. I'll try to find it for y ou. My advice is that of a carpenter, measure twice cut once!

i can't seem to find his write up

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, the best thing for body roll is a sway bar upgrade. I have the Hotchkis, and it is a huge improvement. In fact I would highly recommend them over springs for your first mod.

The reason I am going with the Kings over the eibach, B&G etc. is that the GTO has no rear camber adjustment. So by using a stiffer spring with the same stance I can eliminate the squat, plus just by lowering the front a 1/2 inch will equal out the fender well space from the front to rear.

So all I will do is install the springs, and get a wheel alignment... and all should be godd. :cool

ALL ->>> sorry for highjacking the thread... we should start a new thread on sprigs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
springs

A camber kit can be installed 4 the rear. Personally i hate cars that dont sit level, i believe drop the rear more than the front to get a level (at the sill) stance and better handling. I've done this with king springs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes I am aware of the camber kit. However, that too is an aftermarket part just for the adjustment.

As for the stance, I do not like the way the rear tire tucks into the rear wheel well when lowered all the way around. But, hey! To each his own. :cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts