Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I saw the specifications and pictures of the 2004 Goat, I knew I was interested.

I currently own a '98 GTP Grand Prix and I can't say enough good things about it. But, I miss having a manual transmission and I also miss rear Wheel Drive. So, the goat makes sense for me.

But, I was disappointed in one thing in the 2004 GTO. I can't stand the dual exhaust tips on the driver side. This looks like a euro-trash car, not a GTO.

So, I was excited to see that Pontiac addressed this in the 2005 model. And, they also added more power, scoops, and 18" wheels. So, the 2005, for me, seems like a better choice.

But, now I see the dealers here (Denver) are all but giving away the 2004 models. This makes the choice a little more difficult. I also haven't seen any information about 2005 mileage, price, or other potential changes.

So, my question is: where can I go to get more information? The local dealer knows less about it than I. All I have (relative to 2005 info) is the 2005 GM press release.

If the 2005 GTO has something about it that I don't know that may persuade me to look closer at the 2004, I would really like to know ASAP before all the manual transmission 2004 models are sold (for some reason, 75% of them at all local dealers are autos).

Anyway, any help or links to sites having good and recent information about the 2005 GTO's is much appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Prospective Buyer

I posted a couple of threads about the 05. One is the actual dealer ordering info website. Check it out. As of 13 Sept 04 the 18" wheels have been deleted, all subject to change of course. Hopefully, it will change. There is another site ultimategto.com that has some pictures of the 05 GTO with the RPAs and the dual/dual exhausts and also the standard 05 GTO. There is alot of good info out there, you just have to spend some time and sift through it. Good luck!!! :cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
SJAndrew said:
...But, I was disappointed in one thing in the 2004 GTO. I can't stand the dual exhaust tips on the driver side. This looks like a euro-trash car, not a GTO...
I find this very interesting - how sensative people are to where the exhaust pipe is on a car. On a Grand National, other owners thought it was terribly scandelous to have the exhaust come straight out the back - said that was too Monti Carlo-ish - the exhaust had to exit just behind each rear wheel.

Not to pick on SJAndrew, but many others have expressed their displeasure in the exhaust exiting on just one side of the car. Come on people, what friggin difference does it REALLY make? It is a real, true, two separate pipe system - that's what's important.

I can understand variance in tastes for many styling aspects... this I just don't get.

---Larry

·
Registered
212 Posts
Personally, I enjoy the one side exhaust. I really like the fact that our new GTO has broken the norm that is the american muscle car. It's got the fit and finish of something from Europe, or Japan, yet it has the power and sound of something born right here in the US.

I'll be the first to say that I don't like the look of the '05 GTO. I'm not a fan at all of the hood scoops, but this is an option, correct? I heard they have changed the rear end to accomodate for the new dual exhaust in the rear?

Maybe I've just spent more time reading about and enjoying my new car that I haven't paid much attention to the rest!

ALthough I'd like to have the extra 50 ponies that the '05 will have!

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I see exhaust to one side or the other, I immediately think "rice burner". With the split to each side I think V-8.... Drool!!!! Like my Wife says "it's what's inside that counts". Ha Ha!!! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
When I see exhaust to one side or the other, I immediately think "rice burner". With the split to each side I think V-8.... Drool!!!! Like my Wife says "it's what's inside that counts". Ha Ha!!! :)
See, but that's just a part of the "sleeper" aspect - which the Grand National was the Ace of. Others would look over at the black Buick Regal and not give it a second thought.

I forget the commercial now, but the express was: It's whats up FRONT that counts. I think it was for some cigarette. How appropriate today!

---Larry

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
LarryM said:
I find this very interesting - how sensative people are to where the exhaust pipe is on a car. On a Grand National, other owners thought it was terribly scandelous to have the exhaust come straight out the back - said that was too Monti Carlo-ish - the exhaust had to exit just behind each rear wheel.

Not to pick on SJAndrew, but many others have expressed their displeasure in the exhaust exiting on just one side of the car. Come on people, what friggin difference does it REALLY make? It is a real, true, two separate pipe system - that's what's important.

I can understand variance in tastes for many styling aspects... this I just don't get.

---Larry
I think the reason I find the non-split dual exhaust repulsive is just an innate personality trait. I love symmetry I guess. I know it doesn't effect flow or performance, but I like the symmetry.

I live in Denver and I love seeing two separate fog plumes in my rear view during the winter.

Split duals for me connote american muscle; one-side duals connote german/japanese.

It bothers me so that if the 2004 Goat had split duals...I would have driven one to work today.

I find one-side duals repugnant. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jimmy,
I just found it after a bunch of digging around on various websites. I didn't find the link on a GM website. I don't even remember where I found it now, but it's chock full of nuts, er uh good info. :cool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts