1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
One more question, if I might.
The axle is all together, I want to sandblast it,
but want to be careful of the diff when I do.
I'm not sure the best route to take.
Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Not a good idea. That said, I've done it successfully. You need strong duct tape and you need to seal off the axle flange areas and the pinion area very well. The rear cover must be installed, and the fill plug tight. The vent tube must be plugged, and plugged well. If ANY sand gets inside, you will tear up pretty much the whole thing as you drive it. Keep the nozzle pointed AWAY from the vulnerable areas. Like most shortcuts, it has risks, but with finesse and experienced, can be mastered....sort of like wing walking or knife dodging....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I attempted to do the same, even with all the care that I took I ended up with sand in the differential. Had to take the whole assembly apart and clean thoroughly. Like GEETEE says doesn't take much to tear up the inside. Only good thing that came out of my experience is that the Ring Gear was pitted and I had to reinstall another new ring and pinion.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
There you go....sometimes you can jerk the table cloth out from under the dishes and they remain in place, and sometimes they end up smashed on the floor. It's all a gamble. Less so with luck and experience, but still a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I do have a confession...I kept the axle outside the garage when I sandblasted everything else. I know some sand got on the diff. I'm thinking I should assume sand has gotten inside, and have it taken apart and cleaned, yes?

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my opinion if you weren't directing sand under pressure onto the axle, incremental amounts should not be a problem. The axle assembly was designed to operate in an outside environment, dirt, grit,water etc but none of these is under 100 + pounds of air pressure.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I prefer to err on the side of caution. When it comes to sand I don't mess around... i'd take this opportunity to replace the seals and do a good flush. Just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts