Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up everyone my name is larry, and i just bought myself a 2005 Pontiac GTO, impluse blue metallic, black interior, and the 6spd. anything special i should know about this car that the dealer wouldn't tell me?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Welcome aboard Larry....:party:
Make sure the tires have correct pressures, keep an ear out for the notorious rear end whine (around 50 mph after a while) that most have experienced, including myself. Its a warrany issue. Clean car and check for rail dust from train when it was transported, feel the surface. If it's smooth the dealer prepped car sufficienty. Dealers sometime leave the donuts in the springs ( for transport) by mistake, so take a look at that too. You can turn up the amp in the trunk too for the subs, will give it a lil more kick. It's located inside the L/R Qtr in trunk. Peel away the trim , reach in and feel for the knob, give it a turn to your liking.

Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
1. Be sure to read the owner's manual. There are a number of features in your GTO, such as the programmable instrument cluster, that are quite enjoyable.

2. Check your tire pressures. Now. They're set at something like 50-60 pounds in Australia for shipping purposes -- and some dealers don't bother to adjust them here. Check the spare while you're at it.

3. Be sure your floor mat retaining anchors are not broken.

4. Do you have your vehicle information card? It's around the size of a small index card -- with codes to your radio, ignition key, glove box key, VIN#, etc. printed on it.

5. Be proactive and get a good coat of wax on your car. In fact, I'd do a good job of cleaning the paint first. Use a clay bar or a product like Klasse All In One. That'll strip all the dealer applied wax off and remove anything that stuck to the paint. Then wax with Klasse silver. Apply a little extra to the front bumper so it won't get scratched when you punt Mustangs into the weeds. Johnnebgoode knows what he's talking about in this new car paint prep area. I'd like to hear his thoughts on this.

6. Dial in the Blaupunkt. Search this forum about how to do that. It involves adjusting the factory settings -- and turning up the boost from the trunk mounted amplifier. Since I don't have the time to write the full description -- I won't into it any deeper than that.

Otherwise, welcome to the club. You've got an awesome car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
In regard to the painted surfaces, the procedure described to you by BA is perfect. Clay the vehicle keeping the clay bar wet with the solution provided. You can also use any detail spray for a solution also. Such as Meguiars Final Inspection, thats what I use. Use a premium wax and your lookin good. Be careful with the PUNTING...........:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks BA and Johne. You hit the nail(s) on the head. I had a horrible time w/ the dealer and proper car prep...mainly rail dust. Keep an eye out for that!
Plus, some people reccomend and early oil change for safety's sake. Remember, synthetic oil and premium gas for the goats.

Oh yeah. Welcome Larry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.