Pontiac GTO Forum banner

What color should I get stock rims painted?

• Purple

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Black

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Black/purple

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get my rims painted or powdercoated soon, the stock ones. I would love purple, because of course the car is purple and im a purple freak but i m afraid it will look tacky.... but SO MANY people have black rims....

SO my question is.... purple, black, or black and purple in some combination?

·
Registered
257 Posts
black. If you he tinted windows it will set that off pretty good. I dunno about same color as car though.

Also see you in woodbridge? im over the bridge 20 min in PG county. Is there meets anywere around??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im set on smoking the lights, so black would go nicely.

As far as meets go, u know as much as I do. Id love to go but I dont have many connects in the car world :/

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Black. I think im gonna have mine painted black next week. And btw prepare to get a lot of remarks and bashing for deciding between PURPLE and black rims. lol you know how people get ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meh, Im in love with my cosmos purple baby, I just want her to have nice shoes...

I get enough from my jealous guy friends, the only thing they can think to hate on is the color! Purple rims would just fuel their fire lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
meh, Im in love with my cosmos purple baby, I just want her to have nice shoes...

I get enough from my jealous guy friends, the only thing they can think to hate on is the color! Purple rims would just fuel their fire lol.
lmao i feel you on that one. Yea like i said its YOUR car and its YOUR style. YOU do what YOU feel is right. But really i think the black would really make it look good. Especially like what was said before, with the black tints. Either way good luck on the decision :cheers

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I looked at buying a leftover 04 Cosmos new but the dealer wouldn't let me test drive it because 'couldn't afford it' even though they didn't run my credit or know that I had unlimited OT at my old job and had a crap load saved up. I ended up buying a different car somewhere else and the finally got a goat a few years later... but about 1/2 the price.

I woudln't do black though. I'd personally look into a purple metallic. A buddy of mine got it done in his STi. I gotta find the link on another forum but he has them for sale. They look literally like a purple chrome. http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99703

I'd of course do a different shade but you get the idea. The pics do no justice though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
purple chrome sounds great. I want a dark purple, not like neon in your face purple... I would love a purple that looks almost black, kinda like the car, you know? just something to set her apart.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It can be done. The process he had his wheels powercoated is what gives it the chrome look but I'm sure a color could me mixed to your liking.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I'm partial to purple myself!! Seriously, I'd go with a dark almost black looking purple... I like your car!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think maybe black with a purple ring around the edge of the rim?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
There is also a local Cosmos near me, young kid owns it and he did his calipers bright green, reminds me of Barney.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 68greengoat!

So its official. I ordered the light films in smoke (films are removable in case some cop wants to be picky :/ i do live in VA afterall) AND I choose the purple paint! Im excited! BUT if i get the purple on there and I hate it, at least I know I can always go black.... Im wondering if using a black primer would make the purple darker?? Oh well, experimenting I go!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is also a local Cosmos near me, young kid owns it and he did his calipers bright green, reminds me of Barney.
I completely agree... the green interior lights remind me of barney... they went so far as to put purple leather! so why couldnt they go alittle further and put a more flattering color??

yesterday the thought crossed my mind to possibly do orange :lol: but then i got back to my taste lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you use a black primer the purple will not be darker to make it darker add black or a darker purple in the base coat also if your rims are just the silver,not the chrome, you won't need primer. Also you can always just use the exact color of your car

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im set on smoking the lights, so black would go nicely.

As far as meets go, u know as much as I do. Id love to go but I dont have many connects in the car world :/
yeah i dont either :/ but as of the other post yeah it would set you guy friends off if you went more purple and then gets some purple cloths on to match the car! haha

and maybe start a tri state goat thing? haha:cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its funny cuz I already have the purple clothes, shoes, purses so when I wear them... like today, people really comment!

I have seen at least 4 other GTO's in my area, two black, one dark blue, and one custom painted purple, its more like lavender rather then the plum color like mine, I believe hers was an '05. I would love to go to a meet, especially after I get the rims painted!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Its funny cuz I already have the purple clothes, shoes, purses so when I wear them... like today, people really comment!

I have seen at least 4 other GTO's in my area, two black, one dark blue, and one custom painted purple, its more like lavender rather then the plum color like mine, I believe hers was an '05. I would love to go to a meet, especially after I get the rims painted!

haha i bet so you can show the new shoes off eh.;) lol i just bought mine 3 weeks ago if that. and im looking for others on the road now. ive only seen one so far. a yellow one that was headed into Anna Arundal County. theres alot of mustang around my way. ALOOOT. :shutme lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha i bet so you can show the new shoes off eh.;) lol i just bought mine 3 weeks ago if that. and im looking for others on the road now. ive only seen one so far. a yellow one that was headed into Anna Arundal County. theres alot of mustang around my way. ALOOOT. :shutme lol
A MILLION MUSTANGS!!! lol I just bought mine about 40 days ago! I love it more and more everyday!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts