Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered what the purpose of those louvers on the back of old IROCs, Old Zs..etc, was it cosmetic, functional?

I think they are hideous and are glad to see they are the thing of the past. I am 26 and pardon my naivety on this, I just dont know what they are for.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think they were influenced by numerous cars previous to the Camaros:

1967 Lamborghini Miura:

functional on the Lambo, vented the engine compartment.

Also, the 1969-70 Mustang Boss 302 made them popular:

They were more a fashion statement but the louvers did cut the sunlight entering the interior, especially with the 3rd gen Camaro's huge rear window.

I recall seeing them on many cars of the 70s, popular on Datsun 240-280 Zs, too.

The molded plastic ones looked pretty good, the stamped aluminum ones hideous.
I personally didn't like them.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have always wondered what the purpose of those louvers on the back of old IROCs, Old Zs..etc, was it cosmetic, functional?

I think they are hideous and are glad to see they are the thing of the past. I am 26 and pardon my naivety on this, I just dont know what they are for.
I think it was window shading before there was an optically-decent, robust window tinting.

There was a guy on these boards once- I sh1t you not- who had asked if someone made rear-window louvers for our cars... :rofl:

OMFG...some things- like fake wood panelling, Disco Glitter Chicken hood decals, and iron axles- are best left way in the past...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think it was window shading before there was an optically-decent, robust window tinting.

There was a guy on these boards once- I sh1t you not- who had asked if someone made rear-window louvers for our cars... :rofl:

OMFG...some things- like fake wood panelling, Disco Glitter Chicken hood decals, and iron axles- are best left way in the past...
See now I think Ford would sell way more Expeditions if they put a good fake plastic woodgrain on the side and called them Countrysquires.
For the life of me I can't figure out why Pontiac didn't offer a decal package with the screaming chicken on the GTO. They would have sold thousands more to the lottery winners of the world.
The 350Z isn't really a Z car without a T-Bar roof either.
I can't understand why Ford didn't offer a quadra-phonic stereo 8-track system to go with the retro-Stang either.

For real though I know some don't like the retro thing, but if Chrysler keeps the weight down on the Challenger, and they make a Vert there will probably be one in my garage. Can you dig it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts