Pontiac GTO Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Thats exactly what the Pypes Violators that I have are. Looks like a muffler, but it's just a 3' chambered straight pipe
View attachment 152972
I almost did those but from all the videos they sounded a little "rappy" I guess you call it and I thought they might be too loud, the Pypes tech recommended the Race Pros. I do like them but then I wanted to get a little crazier, hence the cutouts.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
I almost did those but from all the videos they sounded a little "rappy" I guess you call it and I thought they might be too loud, the Pypes tech recommended the Race Pros. I do like them but then I wanted to get a little crazier, hence the cutouts.
I swear the Pypes guys want my car to be quiet... but since they sell a $600 optional cut out kit, maybe they're smarter than theyre letting on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Love it and I like that green...nice job! What makes it go ?
A heavy right foot!!!

JK? Actually nothing spectacular, its the OE YS block in stock form, with the stock 62 heads. Only thing Ive changed is to add an aluminum cold case radiator after attempts to repair to OE rad failed, and using a holley 4175 spreadbore carb, and finally one of summits ready to run distributor which has performed great. The stock quadrajet was in good shape except for a off idle bog, I ordered Cliff Ruggles book and performed a rebuild. Didnt matter what I adjusted I just could NOT get rid of the off idle bog, highway speed it performed great and the bog was very slight when I hammered it while cruising, but I just could not eliminate it completly. So I ordered a holley and have been so far very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Chambered pipes were an early option on the 69 or 70 Camaro and Chevelle. Although designed for the COPO race cars they were dropped due to excessive noise.
This damn Pypes has been so whisper quiet, I don't see anything waking it up... but we'll see in a few hours. As it is I have headers and Flowmaster 44s, it should sound like gatling gun, it does not.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
I appreciate that, I kept the overall diameter 26" of what a stock 15" wheel and tire would have been.
When I was a kid, the recipe for a hotrod was:
  • Loud mufflers
  • Big tires
  • and a chrome air cleaner
Didnt matter what kinda car it was... So it's hard for me to see the beauty in these old muscle cars, unless they have big side walls. Same as preferring a carb over FI or drums over discs... meaty tires were just the ambassador of my childhood.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
You forgot the 'Big Foot' gas pedal. I know it added 3 HP to my buddies 66 Falcon six cylinder

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I was a kid, the recipe for a hotrod was:
  • Loud mufflers
  • Big tires
  • and a chrome air cleaner
Didnt matter what kinda car it was... So it's hard for me to see the beauty in these old muscle cars, unless they have big side walls. Same as preferring a carb over FI or drums over discs... meaty tires were just the ambassador of my childhood.
I hear ya, to each his own. I love your recipe...on some vehicles, but others/mine I prefer a resto-mod look. Everybody has their own preferances and I'll never (try to) say anything ill mannered towards another persons car. It may not be my preference, but at the end of the day I am not the one driving it. At the same time, I do see some what would be a bad ass muscle car just done completly wrong and it just makes me cringe, again...Im not the one driving it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You forgot the 'Big Foot' gas pedal. I know it added 3 HP to my buddies 66 Falcon six cylinder

I actually bought one of these at a garage sale when I was 12 years old and COULDNT WAIT to install it on my first car. Sadly I lost it sometime before I turned 16.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I can agree with some of the issues state on this thread. I purchased the pypes street pro system 2.5", overall im happy with it, but the fitment was not that great. I took it to have the rear "pea shooters" modified and tucked, and in the photo the shop is trying to modify the fitment because it rubs on the frame rails in the rear. His comment after asking me what system it was and who installed it was "it just doesnt fit that great" I even had to dent an area behind the x pipe because it was rubbing on a cross brace on the floorboard. Again overall im happy with it, BUT if I had done my research and just contacted my muffler shop before hand I could of had a complete custom fit exhuast madrel bent and welded up for ~$500 manifolds back with my muffler of choice. If anyone is interested this is Bobby Gentrys Muffler in Denton Texas. They are WELL know in the hot rod community up here for meticulous alignments and exhaust work. I will agree with armyadarkness it is pretty quiet I do wish it were a bit louder, but I do have the entire interior floor, roof, and doors covered with "boom mat" and that really does block out ALOT of exterior sound. I think in the future I am going to have Gentrys weld me up a custom exhaust.

What muffler do you all recommend???

View attachment 152958
I went with Flowmstr HP-2’s as I like the old school Boom low freq sound like the old style cherry bombs had but these are much better as far as being an efficient vortex flow, I had a local Hot Rod Shop build the whole thing with high grade stainless, has a great sound now
Pic was before the tails were completed
Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Space Ceiling
Font Motor vehicle Cylinder Auto part Metal

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts

Yes I couldve included bucket seats and an Indymatic Shifter, too! We would always take the buckets out of Vega's and put them in our Nova's

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
721 Posts
61 - 80 of 115 Posts