Pontiac GTO Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went with Flowmstr HP-2’s as I like the old school Boom low freq sound like the old style cherry bombs had but these are much better as far as being an efficient vortex flow, I had a local Hot Rod Shop build the whole thing with high grade stainless, has a great sound now
Pic was before the tails were completed View attachment 152987 View attachment 152989
THAT LOOKS GREAT!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can agree with some of the issues state on this thread. I purchased the pypes street pro system 2.5", overall im happy with it, but the fitment was not that great. I took it to have the rear "pea shooters" modified and tucked, and in the photo the shop is trying to modify the fitment because it rubs on the frame rails in the rear. His comment after asking me what system it was and who installed it was "it just doesnt fit that great" I even had to dent an area behind the x pipe because it was rubbing on a cross brace on the floorboard. Again overall im happy with it, BUT if I had done my research and just contacted my muffler shop before hand I could of had a complete custom fit exhuast madrel bent and welded up for ~$500 manifolds back with my muffler of choice. If anyone is interested this is Bobby Gentrys Muffler in Denton Texas. They are WELL know in the hot rod community up here for meticulous alignments and exhaust work. I will agree with armyadarkness it is pretty quiet I do wish it were a bit louder, but I do have the entire interior floor, roof, and doors covered with "boom mat" and that really does block out ALOT of exterior sound. I think in the future I am going to have Gentrys weld me up a custom exhaust.

What muffler do you all recommend???
I'm surprised by the fitment problems you ran into. I have a 2.5 inch Pypes system with the X pipe on my 70 . It fit really good with plenty of room over the axle. Only issue I ran into was picking out tips since the Pypes system goes out the back straight. I cut a pair that were supposed to be dumps to get the look I wanted. I really don't like huge exhaust tips that stick way out. Yours look great BTW.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
855 Posts
This damn Pypes has been so whisper quiet, I don't see anything waking it up... but we'll see in a few hours. As it is I have headers and Flowmaster 44s, it should sound like gatling gun, it does not.
I've been thinking about your too quiet issue. It really doesn't make much sense. My old tired 400 had maybe 250 hp through 2.25 inch pipes with knock off chambered mufflers (basically generic FM 40 series) and it was loud as hell. I saw a video one time where someone installed motorcycle type packed mufflers in the head pipes to quiet it down. Is it possible this was done on yours at some point? I have the longer Racepros on mine now and while it's not ear splitting, it's pretty loud. Like pull into the gas station and everyone at the pumps looks up loud.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm surprised by the fitment problems you ran into. I have a 2.5 inch Pypes system with the X pipe on my 70 . It fit really good with plenty of room over the axle. Only issue I ran into was picking out tips since the Pypes system goes out the back straight. I cut a pair that were supposed to be dumps to get the look I wanted. I really don't like huge exhaust tips that stick way out. Yours look great BTW.

View attachment 152992
Thank you. to me its not a huge issue a few dents in your exhaust never hurt anything. Have you watched engine masters and how they destroyed a set of headers and it didnt hurt exhaust flow at all or barely anyway. I was more dissapointed in myself for not calling my exhaust shop first. I just assumed a fully welded madrel bend custom exhaust would be out of my price range and a off the shelf item is more cost effective. I have learned a lesson.

That looks great as well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thank you. to me its not a huge issue a few dents in your exhaust never hurt anything. Have you watched engine masters and how they destroyed a set of headers and it didnt hurt exhaust flow at all or barely anyway. I was more dissapointed in myself for not calling my exhaust shop first. I just assumed a fully welded madrel bend custom exhaust would be out of my price range and a off the shelf item is more cost effective. I have learned a lesson.

That looks great as well.
I did see that. The results were amazing to say the least. Honestly, the main reason I went with a prefab over an exhaust shop is I don't like leaving my car at a shop. It's not a trust thing, but convenience. I do all the work on the project cars on my time. Things stop being fun when they are put on a schedule for me. That being said, mine is going to it's first show in three years on Saturday, so tomorrow after work I'll be checking the timing and giving it a bath to get it ready.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did see that. The results were amazing to say the least. Honestly, the main reason I went with a prefab over an exhaust shop is I don't like leaving my car at a shop. It's not a trust thing, but convenience. I do all the work on the project cars on my time. Things stop being fun when they are put on a schedule for me. That being said, mine is going to it's first show in three years on Saturday, so tomorrow after work I'll be checking the timing and giving it a bath to get it ready.
Never been a statment more true sir!!! I may have some trust issues though...😆

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
I've been thinking about your too quiet issue. It really doesn't make much sense. My old tired 400 had maybe 250 hp through 2.25 inch pipes with knock off chambered mufflers (basically generic FM 40 series) and it was loud as hell. I saw a video one time where someone installed motorcycle type packed mufflers in the head pipes to quiet it down. Is it possible this was done on yours at some point? I have the longer Racepros on mine now and while it's not ear splitting, it's pretty loud. Like pull into the gas station and everyone at the pumps looks up loud.
NOT MINE!!!!!!!! It's QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
UPDATE!

New Pypes system came in a day.

Last night, had the entire old system off in 30 minutes, and ran the car, to make sure there wasnt a tennis ball or squirrel in my collectors:

Then the new pipes system went up, front tires on ground, rear on stands. The new one-piece tailpipes went in, zero issues. Had to cut 1" off two pipes, and the rest bolted right up! So with regard to shipping speed and fitment, Pypes gets an A+. Took about 1.5 hours, on my back.

Ill drive it with clamps for a few days. Check fitment, adjust, and then weld it myself.

Now the bad... with the Violator mufflers, it's still TOO FLIPPING QUIET! Yes, Im sure at speed and when getting on it, it's loud, but when starting and at idle, it's a kitten. I took video but I couldnt rev it so youll just get an idle snip for now... Fortunately I got the system with the cutouts built in, so Ill probably weld some 1.75" turn downs on the caps and see if that does it. I refuse to have a 67 GTO that's not as loud as a Mustang GT with 100 less cubes.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
167 Posts
Army,

Sounds good from here.

I cheaped out and purchased this system last year. Dynomax performance exhaust 89023, dual - thrush dual exhaust kit along with 2.5" SS Pypes down pipes.

The fit was good but I need to get it up on a lift and make some adjustments and have a buddy of mine weld it up.

I don't care for the tail pipe tips to much thou. The tips looks to much like a male anatomy o_O so I am looking to replace them with some chrome or stainless (which I could get some scrape stainless pipe here at work ;)) ones at some point.

Hi Jared, Where did you get your 2.5" tips from?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Army,

Sounds good from here.

I cheaped out and purchased this system last year. Dynomax performance exhaust 89023, dual - thrush dual exhaust kit along with 2.5" SS Pypes down pipes.

The fit was good but I need to get it up on a lift and make some adjustments and have a buddy of mine weld it up.

I don't care for the tail pipe tips to much thou. The tips looks to much like a male anatomy o_O so I am looking to replace them with some chrome or stainless (which I could get some scrape stainless pipe here at work ;)) ones at some point.

Thanks
Thanks, bro!

I order stainless tips off Amazon. theyre cheap!

Well if you ever drive to Jersey, I have a box of stainless 2.5 GTO mufflers, all with under 100 miles on them, and a Pypes x pipe.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Army,

What tips did you go with? Pictures please :)
I still have to cut the tips off my old system and weld them on, but here's what I got.

Here are the stainless Pypes tips, which I no longer use. Nice looking, but over priced...

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Tool Office supplies Household hardware Nickel Automotive exterior

Dont have any great pics... 3" tips on 2.5" pipe, is what I use now. When the system is welded and the tips are on, I'll get more pics and video

Product Automotive exterior Material property Metal Auto part

·
Registered
855 Posts
Army,

Sounds good from here.

Thanks
Those are kind of home brew. I can look for the exact part later but they were something like this when ordered:

I then cut them at the angle you see. Basically, I wanted a polished look but something that looked like it didn't have a tip on it at all. Turned out better than I expected.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts