Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 GTO judge 400 cubic inch 4 speed. Having trouble with the carburetor. Thinking about a rebuild. The number on my carburetor is 7040263. In the service manual they list the carburetor as 7040273. I’m trying to verify what is the correct carburetor for this car before I rebuild the one I have or look for one that the manual suggest. There is another number on the carb which is 1075. Trying to find out what that number is also. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome

here is my take on your question

7040263 is a 70 4 speed 350 hp unit non ram air with a 107 75 julian date replacement carb

yes the 273 carb is correct but they start around 2000 for a decent rebuilder

rebuild what you have ,,, check the filters

whats your issue ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. The car runs fine in any gear. When you punch it the car bogs down and has no power. All are telling me to rebuild the carb.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Rebuild can't hurt. No need to go with some fancy-ass rebuilder with a long waiting period, check around for a quality local guy. Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The car runs fine in any gear. When you punch it the car bogs down and has no power. All are telling me to rebuild the carb.
Two things come to mind. 1.) You need a new accelerator pump, 2.) the secondary air flap is opening too quickly which will cause a bog.

It is also possible that it is a timing issue, timing not advanced enough, or even a sloppy timing chain/worn gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts