Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on restoring a 1967 GTO with my dad. We rebuilt the quadrajet, but we put it on there and it'll start up, but it won't keep running unless I mash on the gas. Eventually it just dies. So can anyone help me? I have read these forums enough to know that the q-jet is the best option but we may have to revert to an edlebrock due to lack of knowledge. Tips, advice, diagnosis, anything is appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Going to need much more information... there are a few things that come to mind... first, did you set the float levels correctly? Check your float level. If it's too low, it won't run and if it's too high, it will flood and die. Next, did you index the air screws? Turn them in til they seat and then back them out a turn and a half as a start point (usually VERY close). Then, set your idle speed screw. Turn it til it just touches the linkage arm, then turn it in a turn to a turn and a half.

This all assumes that everything else was done correctly when you rebuilt the carb. Did you soak it in carb cleaner over night? Did you rinse with good solvent afterwards, did you blow out all passages? There is SO much to rebuilding a quadrajet (or any carb) in order to make them run correctly.

Chuck

OH... since it's a '67... make sure the base gasket is installed correctly! If it's upside down, it will open up a passage to the atmosphere and run like crap!

·
Registered
727 Posts
If it won't idle, but it will run with the throttle held open, you probably have plugged idle circuits, a huge vacuum leak or a combination of both.

Did you make sure the idle circuits and all other passages were completely clean when you cleaned out the carb? If you didn't remove the pressed-in plugs and completely clean out all the internal passages, you will probably need to go through the carb again.

First, make sure there are no open vacuum ports and all vacuum lines are correctly connected and in good condition.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:D
Good tips and OP don't give up on that Q-jet! They are far superior to the Edelbrock carb. If you do give up PM me and I'll take that Q-jet off your hands.....:D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you replace the fuel pump, the diaphragm goes bad over the years. Also don't get a pump that puts out more that 5 or 6 psi. As mentioned above, check for vacuum leaks.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The '67 has a one year only carb, intake, and heat shield set-up. You must have the stainless steel heat shield under the carb to prevent the exhaust heat passage from superheating the carb. I use two base gaskets, with the steel plate sandwiched between them. Q-jet is a great carb, but very easy to mess up if you aren't aware of what you are doing 100%. Verify no vacuum leaks, and verify proper float level and fuel mixture, as stated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts