Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... new to the forum... i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for... does anyone know anything about the redesign of the GTO in 2007 ?? ive heard rumors but dont know much yet as to when specifically or what changes will be made.... thanks!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Welcome Nate. Are you an owner or are you considerin?

There are many rumors and 0 facts. I think the latest and greatest place the American GTO in 2008 or later. I am positive it will not be in 07. They do not even have a plant designated as of yet.

Rumor is that the Zeta platform will be a V8 rear wheel drive. GM will use the platform to make several models for Cadilac, Chevrolet, and Pontiac. The GTO and a rear wheel drived Grand Prix would be the bases for the Pontiac line.

Unfortunately there is nothing locked in gold as of yet. With all of the recent GM closings this all may be a mucle car guys wet dream.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
NateDog said:
Hi all... new to the forum... i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for... does anyone know anything about the redesign of the GTO in 2007 ?? ive heard rumors but dont know much yet as to when specifically or what changes will be made.... thanks!
This is from Motor Trend;

2008 Pontiac GTO: Internally called the GMX282, the 2008 GTO will be built on GM's new Zeta platform, now under development in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. The Zeta platform brings a new suspension all around, with a more sophisticated independent rearend promising better traction and even sweeter handling. The wheelbase has grown marginally to 110 inches. The next GTO will carry over the 6.0-liter, 400-horse LS2 from the current car as well as the six-speed manual transmission. The new GTO looks more muscular than today's model, with a fastback roofline and strong tension in the profile and pumped fenders. Overall length is down 0.8 inch to 189. The only retro nods on this car are the wide-track Pontiac-style front end and the twin hood scoops.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
This is also from Motor trend; It is 3 months old

Future: '08 GTO Spared, But That's All
What the GM Future looks like

By Todd Lassa
Photography by the Manufacturer
Motor Trend, August 2005​

General Motors's plans for a rear-drive Buick Velite sedan, convertible, or anything else are officially dead. The murder also affects any rear-drive Chevy coupe, Camaro, Chevelle, or otherwise. While development of a new Zeta platform was scaled back months ago, the decision to pull the plug on these new cars is much more recent. The only sub-Cadillac/ Corvette rear-drive program going forth (beside Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky) is the next-gen GTO, expected for the 2008 model year.

GM sources say the Holden's Zeta rear-drive platforms aren't considered refined enough for rear-drive Buicks and Chevys to compete with the Mercedes-based Chrysler and Dodge LX models or any other modern competitor. Cadillac's Sigma platform, meanwhile, is too expensive for GM's mainstream brands.

Meanwhile, GM is yet again reorganizing its divisions. Cadillac, Hummer, and Saab continue as the company's premium troika (it considers Saab near-luxury). Even though Hummer H2 sales plunged after its first year, with the new H3 and more product on the way, the division is designed to thrive with relatively low volume. Saturn continues as a warm-and-fuzzy Toyota, Honda/Acura competitor as it moves upmarket.

GM plans to morph as many as possible of its individual Pontiac, Buick, and GMC dealers into three-brand combos. A Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer doesn't have to be full-line, like Chevrolet, says marketing chief Mark LaNeve. The plan is to shape GM into eight "tightly focused" brands. "If those brands aren't focused, you don't need them," LaNeve adds.

But the reality looks set to fall short of the rhetoric. GMC, for example, is relying on its expanding Denali line, which is really just a trim level, to distinguish itself from Chevy trucks. And while Pontiac builds a largely front-drive performance lineup and Buick builds a front-drive (except for the Rainier) "quiet luxury" lineup, there's still loads of overlap. Yes, a 3.5-liter high-feature Buick LaCrosse is much different from a small-block V-8 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. But the high-volume sub-$25,000 LaCrosses and Grand Prixs are distinguished by little more than sheetmetal and interior design.

All of which leads to the question: If Chrysler Group can manage to build affordable, gotta-have rear-drive Chrysler 300s, Dodge Magnums, and Chargers with optional V-8s, why can't the world's largest automaker compete?

G

·
hmmm .. could you drive a Monaro in japan or england? concidering they both right hand drive? or would you have to jump threw all the BS import laws aswell? :willy: :party:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also heard that the current GTO is due for a 3 year run, which means no 07, unless they build it here. If you look at Holdens web site, it states that this is the last year for the Monaro, which it what the GTO is based on. Be glad, our cars are fairly rare. An 06 would probably be the best one to own, but my 04 was much cheaper. Now bring back the Camaro in 07. :D

G

·
The prototype camaro I saw looked like the 67-69 models and was rumored to have the Z06 motor put into it (detuned to 475). THAT got me pretty excited. Then I read the whole idea was cancelled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.