Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 6-speed I test drove last night/this morning, I of course gave it some opportunities to accelerate and show off its performance. However, the gas pedal seemed to stop and not allow me to depress it all the way (as in after I shifted from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd). Am I letting off the gas too much in between shifts? I was always taught to release the accelerator while the clutch was in.

Or is this some sort of built-in feature to prevent you from bogging down the engine under hard acceleration? The pedal would eventually depress further after the RPMs climbed a bit. It just seemed it wouldn't let me do too much too soon. And to me, it felt like it was reducing my ability to accelerate faster.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
Nope, I had traction control off.
Maybe there's a problem with disabling the traction control, because the pedal pushing back (as you describe) is definitely the Bosch system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you explain further, please? I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable as you, so I'm not familiar with what Bosch means. Thanks.

But the T/C was definitely OFF, because I spun the tires like nobody's business. Don't worry though, it was on some-what wet pavement, so I wasn't wasting good tire tread. ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check out the GTO website, the system used for traction control is made by Bosch. So when he refers to Bosch, it would be the traction control.

But if the pedal is pushing back at you, he's right. The traction control is off. Silly question here, but did you happen to turn the traction control off every time you started the car? Sometimes I will forget to turn it off, and it will kick in as I try sliding out of a corner. I'm a rebel without a cause!

FYI- The car will still break the tires loose with the traction control on, but it's very limited.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, now you've got me second-guessing myself, but I'm fairly sure I had the T/C off. In fact, now that I think back, I'm 100% positive. It was OFF! This was all in one sample drive, because I had my oldest son with me, and he was smiling as much as a 6-year-old could! :)

I did a few burn outs, and then we went to a long stretch of road to accelerate hard. The pedal wasn't so much pushing back at me, but it was stopping me from pressing further......then after just a few moments, it would depress down as the RPMs climbed and I continued to accelerate.

Maybe it's nothing, and it's probably normal. It's just something I noticed, that's all. I'm curious if anyone else with a manual feels it, too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, that sounds like the T/C kicking in. I know sometimes I manage to hit the T/C button with my arm. This might have happened and you didn't realize it. Also, Traction Off displays on the instrument cluster below the Tach at all times when T/C is disabled. Either this was the case or something was wrong with the T/C.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Try it again sometime. There will be a small text display in the center odometer window (not sure when other info is displyed, though I would assume so) that reads "TC OFF" when it's disabled....and, if it is ON, an icon pops up whenever the Bosch TC is working (like when you are spinning your tires).

When the TC is off, I've never felt anything even remotely as you describe....and I've pushed my Goat pretty hard. If the pedal is doing weird things and the TC is definitely off, then I'd get thee to a dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The T/C was off. It was definitely off. I'm not worried about it now, as it's not my car and was only loaned to me for an extended test drive. Maybe it's just me & my driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
djdub said:
SDMF, not to hijack this thread, but please, for the love of god, change your avatar.
No. :D

Besdies, you can edit your preferences to disable avatar viewing, like I do with signatures, as they usually slow down the page loading.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why the animosity? I was very close to leasing one as of yesterday afternoon. I wanted to make an informed decision, and this site has been extremely helpful. Please point out to me in the forum rules where ownership of a GTO is require for posting. On top of that, I'm not a troll. None of my posts have been anti-GTO. At worst, I've offered constructive criticism.

·
Registered
386 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
Why the animosity? I was very close to leasing one as of yesterday afternoon. I wanted to make an informed decision, and this site has been extremely helpful. Please point out to me in the forum rules where ownership of a GTO is require for posting. On top of that, I'm not a troll. None of my posts have been anti-GTO. At worst, I've offered constructive criticism.
I feel your questions about the GTO and whether you're getting a good deal, or why the car does this, or what's a lease or... have become an annoyance. If you like the car get it, if not, don't.

If you sense animosity, you're right. There was no animosity until I made a comment about the annoying nature of your avatar and you replied with an insult to my intelligence. Like I don't know how to turn the avatars off.

You're avatar is poor forum etiquette in my opinion and that's that. There is also a name for people who post as much useless crap as you. It's called a post whore. And I have no patience for them.

You're the biggest n00b on here, but yet you have more posts than 50% of the sites population.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
djdub said:
I feel your questions about the GTO and whether you're getting a good deal, or why the car does this, or what's a lease or... have become an annoyance. If you like the car get it, if not, don't.
Then what's the purpose of this forum? You've all bought your cars. There's nothing else to discuss?? When you're a moderator I'll take your advice under consideration. Until then, I once again welcome you to point out in the forum rules and guidelines that GTO ownership is required to post. Along with that, you can also point out to me where it says I'm limited to how many posts I can make in specified time limits, and who made you the judge of what is relavant and/or annoying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
djdub said:
There was no animosity until I made a comment about the annoying nature of your avatar and you replied with an insult to my intelligence. Like I don't know how to turn the avatars off.
I apologize if you took my bit of info on the avatars as an insult to your intelligence. It was certianly not meant as such. On the board I moderate on, many members do not realize that some boards have the feature of turning avatars and signatures off for quicker loading of the pages. I simply informed you of that fact, and since I don't know you personally, I couldn't possibly be aware that you already knew that information. Again, I apologize. No insult was intended.

EDIT: spelling

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
djdub said:
You're the biggest n00b on here, but yet you have more posts than 50% of the sites population.
Then please define noob for me. Is it number of posts? Is it registered date? Is it how much you know about the subject at hand? Does it matter? Would you treat the Pontiac CEO the same way if he registered here today and had 70+ posts by next week, just because he wanted to be involved with your internet community?

·
Registered
386 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
Then what's the purpose of this forum? You've all bought your cars. There's nothing else to discuss?? When you're a moderator I'll take your advice under consideration. Until then, I once again welcome you to point out in the forum rules and guidelines that GTO ownership is required to post. Along with that, you can also point out to me where it says I'm limited to how many posts I can make in specified time limits, and who made you the judge of what is relavant and/or annoying.
The forum is not specifically made for those who are looking to buy a GTO. Forums are type of online "car club" where owners can gather and discuss modifications and problems, etc.

Why someone would need to ask as many questions on a forum before finally buying a car (for which a lot of people pay big bucks for) is beyond me. Specifically someone who can practically steal one off the lot with the deal they were offered.

It is also where one can voice their opinion, which I am doing. The moderators will probably take you're side and say things like "don't scare off the n00b". But... I fell thses were things that needed to be said.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah, so it comes down to jealousy. You're upset because I didn't make a purchase when it was nearly handed to me, and you bought one earlier on when they were newer and cost a bit more. You're certianly a fine judge of character then. I'll change my avatar if you change your screen name to Superficial.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts