Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father left me his 1966 GTO convertible. It is ivory with a black top. It was purchased new by him in 66 and he has had it since then. In the past 10 years the car wasn't kept up. It still runs but needs some TLC. Everything on the car is original. It is an amazing car. I wanted to keep the car and restore it but due to a current loss of employment I may have to sell it. Can someone give me an idea of how much it is worth? I have looked all over the internet and it is hard to find a price on an origianl that hasn't been updated. It is also hard to find a one owner. Thanks!

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
It would be best to post pix so people can get a better idea of the condition. There can potentially be a wide price range given the condition..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics

I don't have any recent pics and the car is in storage in TN. I don't have a place for it yet here in FL. I can try to get someone to go take some. I know it has a few rips in the seats, but the paint is great. The top is also in good condition with no rips or anything. I was told by a friend up there it is a grade 3 on a 4 scale. ??? I don't know much about the scale but he goes to old car sales occasionally and he said that is how they scale them. My dad worked on the road, so when something on the car was wrong he went searching for a replacment off another original. I know the knob on the radio broke at one point. It is a wooden knob. He found a 66 in a junk yard and bought the knob. So everything on the car is the original 66 stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought a 66 sport coupe last month for $15K. Its needs paint and interior but has a rebuilt numbers matching motor and transmission, a convertible is definitely worth more. Sounds like yours could be worth 35-40K just going off your description. If your dad was the original owner see if he has documents for the car like the order invoice, sales invoice, build sheet and/or the window sticker. I have all mine and I know it adds a couple of grand to the value.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
You are right, Rukee. Number 1 cars are not driven. If they are, they quickly become number 2 cars. Most cars in shows are 2 or 3 cars. 3 cars are really nice. kdwg 24: you need to hire an appraiser to establish value if you are not able to do so. Things like condition, options, originality, etc. matter. Ten years ago, a factory Tri-power car was worth about $1000 more than a 4 barrel GTO. Now, a factory tripower car is worth almost twice what a 4 barrel car is worth. If the car is an automatic, it is worth much less than if it is a stickshift. Etc, etc. Get it appriaised before you sell it. The market is down right now, so be warned. You may want to hang on to it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts