Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to forum but been in love with the GTO since my first car, a 67 purchased in 76. I am looking for another and not sure if I will get a 67 or 68. But, today is just curiosity. I'd like to consider myself a GTO-phile and maybe an expert, so when I get hit with a new thing, I like to validate it. A buddy called me today about seeing a 'his and hers' shift knob for sale for $20. This was black with an etched shift pattern on it. I told him I had never seen anything other than the black 'queue ball' type and never seen one with a shift pattern on it. But I said "what the heck buy it just for the sake of conversation." Anyone with advice? Was there ever a shift pattern on a dual gate knob?

Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
No, there wasn't. A dual gate shift knob is black, and without any markings. It is significantly smaller than the manual shift knob on a stick shift car. You can buy reproduction dual gate shift knobs for $18 from the vendors.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
yeah i would like to see it too....442's and Yenko's also used the dual gates. think the 442's had hurst logo on them

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think Hurst makes a aftermarket knob like that, but it's not for the dual gate. It's for newer shifters like what's in my Dodge Charger SRT. When the sifter in in drive (automatic) I can slap the shifter in either direction (left or right) to "manually" go through the gears.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I was pretty sure that there was no marking. My friend saw it and was interested in it. He sent me a pic, but it's on my cell phone. It looks German to me as the pattern goes all the way to the lowest gear, then over to the right and up through the 3 forward gears. All the US dual gate cars that I know of, transferred to the manual pattern through neutral. Feeling a bit lazy at the moment, but will transfer that picture soon.

Thanks,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the confirmation on where this came from. How funny, my friend that launched this debate and originally thought this was a GM dual gate knob, once owned a Scout!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts