Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what peoples' experiences have been with insuring the GTO. On average, is it cheaper than say, an F-body? or a Mustang? It's a larger car with standard TCS, so it it still considered a "midsize sports car"?

·
Registered
850 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
I'm wondering what peoples' experiences have been with insuring the GTO. On average, is it cheaper than say, an F-body? or a Mustang? It's a larger car with standard TCS, so it it still considered a "midsize sports car"?
My insurance went down...I traded in a 2003 Mercedes E320 for my GTO and my insurance dropped $60 a month...

·
Registered
910 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
Most premiums are based on age and record of policy holder. The GTO , considering the HP rating, may be a little bit more than a Minivan. But initially its going to depend on amount of claims made in the past and on moving violations you were convicted on.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with the cost to insure a GTO. Not much difference from my 02 Yukon Denali, or the Volvo 850 Turbo I replaced with the GTO. My wife's new 06 Pacifica Limited is actually a bit more expensive to insure. Does not compute??? The Pacifica has airbags out the wazzoo and top notch crash test results.

Of course I'm 49 yrs old with a good driving record.

I would imagine a 25 yr old male might have quite different (higher) rates.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm a 38 year old male, went from a '99 Pontiac Firehawk to the '05 GTO and the insurance was virtually the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was told by my insurance agent that GTO is lower cost to insure than the mustang...she said that she thinks it's because people that choose the GTO VS. other makes are obviously more intelligent and therefore get a lower rate :lol: HA! HA!...just could not resist that one! But still think the more intelligent choice part is true :cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
fergyflyer said:
39yr old male. Went from an 02 C5 Z06 to the GTO. Insurance rose about $30yr. Went to a C6 and it went down $4yr. Got a quote on a 05 Mustang when I was GTO shopping. It was about a $100 every 6 months more.
shame on you for considering the Mustang...........LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
I payed off insurance with a lump sum of $2400 for 6 months I'm 18 Clean record until I got the GTO.

Question I have to renew my policy soon and I've yet to pay 2 tickets (1 90MPH and the other 160MPH $350 each but no jail time, "US Army Infantryman" so they gave me a break because of my military background) they are about 2 months old and I'll have the funds on the 9th Of this month.

I could fight one in court because the cop said his laser was malfunctioning and he estimated me at 130MPH so technically my speed wasn't properly recorded on the ticket.

So Should I fight them in court or cough up the dough and avoid the headache and take a drivers safety class and pay the ticket? This is my first time getting a ticket so I need some guidance.:willy:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Noraku_6.0L said:
I payed off insurance with a lump sum of $2400 for 6 months I'm 18 Clean record until I got the GTO.

Question I have to renew my policy soon and I've yet to pay 2 tickets (1 90MPH and the other 160MPH $350 each but no jail time, "US Army Infantryman" so they gave me a break because of my military background) they are about 2 months old and I'll have the funds on the 9th Of this month.

I could fight one in court because the cop said his laser was malfunctioning and he estimated me at 130MPH so technically my speed wasn't properly recorded on the ticket.

So Should I fight them in court or cough up the dough and avoid the headache and take a drivers safety class and pay the ticket? This is my first time getting a ticket so I need some guidance.:willy:
Holy SH!T! $2,400 for 6 months? Are you friggin nuts? My car payments don't add up to $2400 for 6 months, much less my insurance. OK, so my car payments are a little more. But that is insane. I think I pay like $350 / 6 months... And I have 6 points on my record. I even got the nasty-gram from the state letting me know that I'm on thin ice...

More power to you if money's no object....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I switched from Allstate to Esurance and went from 2K every 6 months, to 1.1K every six months. Of course that's full coverage on TWO vehicles!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have yet to buy the GTO, but seriously looking at getting data together.

I am 21 year old male, with 1 speeding ticket (78/65) so close to 3 years ago that by the time i get the car ill be clean.

In january I was looking at the Nissan Titan, and I quoted the GTO this weekend and my 6 mo premium was $300 less than the Titan. I gave a SEG to my girlfriend and family members on that one when everyone started questioning 'outrageous insurance rates'

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pay $800 a YEAR for my 05 with Progressive, thats with good coverage, 200 deductables etc. I'm 23, clean record. Don't ask me how but before that I was paying 1200 a year on a 4cyl Toyota Corrolla and 1000 on a 98 Grand Prix GTP. Apparently by the great wisdom of insurance companies they dropped the price $400 bucks going from 128 horsepower to 400! haha go figure but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
400 Posts
gtoh said:
I pay $800 a YEAR for my 05 with Progressive, thats with good coverage, 200 deductables etc. I'm 23, clean record. Don't ask me how but before that I was paying 1200 a year on a 4cyl Toyota Corrolla and 1000 on a 98 Grand Prix GTP. Apparently by the great wisdom of insurance companies they dropped the price $400 bucks going from 128 horsepower to 400! haha go figure but I'm not complaining.
Do you have perfect credit or something? I know they now use your credit score to base your rates.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.