Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm wanting to get my goats window's tinted, but I'm not sure of what the current laws are prohibiting how dark your windows can be. So instead of trying to go look it up I know there's a good few of us Florida guys here on the boards, and I thought I'd just try asking you first. Basically just let me know the limits for each of the windows, thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Window tint shop will know exactly whats legal and whats not.

Both my LSC and my Astro have the shade just outside of legal with a strip of limo across the front top.. In 7 years I have only been hassled once . Only time I have ever heard of anyone getting a fix it ticket for tints is if they were already doing something else illegall/stupid or if they gave the trooper a hard time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
From this site : http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/FL/

Florida Window Tint Law
Florida Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN FLORIDA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Florida, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 28% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 15% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 15% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN FLORIDA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.

OTHER FLORIDA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, was wondering. So this means that all the people I see riding around with windows that let in roughly 10% light either have a medical condition, or...

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had 10% Limo black on my car for years. Never had a problem. Like HTRDLNCN says, when i got pulled over I always rolled down my windows before he got to the car. Didnt your GTO already come tinted? The tint in mine is really dark already, off the showroom. You cant see in on the rear and rear sides and the fronts look like 35% to me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Huh. Next time I am in the dealer I am going to ask my sales guy about it. They didnt use the tint as a sales tactic on me. I'll have to thank them for the nice dark tint job, saved me about $160 I would have spent at Mild to Wild.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had FORMULAONE Pinnacle Tint added today. Excellent Product and really makes my Goat look better (and even more stealth). Paid $230 after install and tax .
35 on front sides (52% heat rejection and 60% glare reduction)
15 rear sides ; and 15 rear (58% heat rejection and 81% glare reduction)
No visor strip. The Tint provides 99.5 UV protection ; is non metallic and Lifetime Warranty. Decided to cut around the window brake light because of possible future spoiler deletion . It's looks great . :cool
As always there are cheaper tints but I wanted Non-metallized with the above reduction percentages from a 20yr old local business.
The Redhot interior is much less visable from a distance and much cooler temps.
Very Happy and recommended... :)

Next up is XM roady2 install ...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Mine was 3M film with a lifetime warranty against color change. I did 35% all the way around. I still head up to Pa. sometimes and didn't want them hassling me about the tint. It was 200 including tax and the install was excellent. Auto-Addons in Tavares Florida. They are well know around here, and when you see them do cars like Bently's and such, you know they do good work.
I like the 3M because you can clean it with windex. a lot of films require you to use water with a mild soap. Major PITA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.