Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope you guys can help. New on this site and hope to get a car to build with my son. I have a friend who wants to sell his 71 GTO Convertible. White with white soft top, 400 engine, Hurst edition?, honeycomb wheels. Looks to be in good shape, not a show car but a driver. Question--what do I look for when checking this out? vin #'s -are where, Block # -where? What is an Hurst edition vehicle. He did tell me that the block is not original. How much does that affect the price of the car. He's asking $18,000.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
welcome!

To note the VIN, ck out the driver side of the steel dash panel. There is a slot where the VIN is factory riveted.

The. VIN on a '71 GTO convert will start out:

242671Pxxxxxx

The last 6 digits being the sequential VIN out of Pontiac plant. The owl tag is under the hood on top of the cowl, directly in front of the VIN.

It will read 71-24267 PONxxxxxBDT

The xxxxxx is the Body number, iit may only be 4 digits starting with a zero.

would nhelp to note the TR number and the color, example 11 A

further down will be the date built code. Should be between 08C and 09A, or 11D and 03C. '71 GTo converts were only built at Pontiac home plant and were built for an abbreviated model year.

Will ck back, heading to eat ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
"... Block # -where?..."

Block casting # is on a pad below the rear of the passenger side head. The 2-digit block code is on the front of the block, just below the passenger side head.

You can plug in the casting # and block code and ID your engine block. If you need the casting date, it is cast back beside the distributor hole.

Wallace Racing's Pontiac Engine Search

If the Wallace ID info is wrong, Pinion head can correct it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pics of the car and ID #

Here is a little more information on the GTO. The owner did tell me the 400 engine is not the original 400. looking at buying this, new to the GTO's, just wondering if the car is worth the $1800.00 he is asking for it. Thanks for any information you can give me

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Originally, this '71 GTO convert was Lucerne blue with med blue comfort weave buckets and a white top. Hard to beat Lucerne blue/blue on a '71 GTO. I'm betting the car is an automatic(?) that hurts quite a bit, while a 4spd Lucerne blue/blue '71 GTO convert has considerable value even as a project. Having owned a lucerne blue/blue M22 '71 Judge, will relay, it's very expensive to correctly restore these cars, esp the interior. The reproduction comfort weave cover are not correct and the shade of blue is off.

Back to the convert, 1800 is dirt cheap, as a driver type resto, is the seller at 18K? Need more pics, the pics of the rear of the car only point out the added Judge rear spoiler, the aftermarket Hurst emblem (no such thing as a Hurst Edition) and the poorly positioned splitters. Existence of, and condition of original sheet metal is very important, any pics of the front of the car (?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts