Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was wanting your input on the GTO,

First off i heard that the 06 was going to be the last year for the gto is that true or is there going to be some kind of body style change? If its indeed the last year for its production is this a bad thing/good thing?

What is everyones opinion on the Automatic VS the Manual? is there any difference in performance? and what is the 0-60 time?

Gas mileage, whats everyone getting? please post which youve got automatic/manual, also is premium grade a must like other high perf cars?

What do you think the reliability will be on this car, and who uses it as a daily driver?

thanks for any info given to me, im hoping to soon get out of this junk plastic mustang that squeaks and rattles everytime i drive it

·
Registered
386 Posts
KillerGTO said:
Whats up everyone, I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was wanting your input on the GTO,

First off i heard that the 06 was going to be the last year for the gto is that true or is there going to be some kind of body style change? If its indeed the last year for its production is this a bad thing/good thing?

What is everyones opinion on the Automatic VS the Manual? is there any difference in performance? and what is the 0-60 time?

Gas mileage, whats everyone getting? please post which youve got automatic/manual, also is premium grade a must like other high perf cars?

What do you think the reliability will be on this car, and who uses it as a daily driver?

thanks for any info given to me, im hoping to soon get out of this junk plastic mustang that squeaks and rattles everytime i drive it

Try this...
http://www.gtoforum.com/search.php?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i figured someone would reply with the search function, i guess all forums are alike. the only reason i went ahead and asked is because i dont have enough time to thumb through all the pages to find my answers, so if anyone else could help me out with my info it would be appreciated

·
Registered
135 Posts
KillerGTO said:

It was supposed to be a 3 year run 04, 05, 06. Who knows what will happen. I like having a rare car.

I got a manual because it's a toy for me. I've read with 04's the manual is faster and for the 05's the auto is. Really depends on the driver, but for most people the auto would be faster.

Premium, yes. Like I said it's a toy so I don't really keep track. On an all interstate drive I averaged 29. You'll want to get into it a lot so upper teens for town and lower 20s for highway is probably about right.

The fit and finish is great and it was designed well. The guys I know that daily drive it seem to be happy with. Like I said I have a garage queen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
KillerGTO said:
yea i figured someone would reply with the search function, i guess all forums are alike. the only reason i went ahead and asked is because i dont have enough time to thumb through all the pages to find my answers, so if anyone else could help me out with my info it would be appreciated
I have an automatic which if you don't want to shift is what you get. If I drove in a lot of traffic I wouldn't want to have a six speed, but I got the auto because they didn't have any 6 speeds. I drive 45 miles one way to work, so if i could have gotten one I probably would have. Plus I would have saved $1000 gas guzzler tax.

I get around 16 to 19 per gallon with my auto, but to tell you the truth I have never checked. Hard to keep your foot out of the gas, and it does burn the good stuff.

Mine is an 04 and I like it!

Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
djdub said:

Were you not just flaming post whores this weekend? He's a new member and instead of welcoming him with basic answers you redicule him by being a smartass, real cool bossman, real cool. Welcome Killer, let us all raise a New Castle in honor of the GTO.

:cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks for the reply's and the welcome, just keep that info coming i need as much as you can give, The gto is an awesome looking car and the fit and finish of the interior is amazing. im kind of gathering info on diff vehicles right now to see what my next move is, and of course im leaning towards the GTO, we get snow here so i would end up buying a winter beater as well. Out of all the retro style cars coming out, Ford mustang, Dodge charger.... the GTO is still the best looking one of them all but i dont understand why others dont feel the same? people just dont know style anymore, dont get me wrong the mustang i think looks good but the front almost looks like the old camaro and the fit and finish is just like any other run of the mill mustang, Crap

·
Registered
27 Posts
get the gto, my father has an audi a8l and would trade his car in a second for my gto if it had awd and heated seats. 2006 will be the last year for the current gto but depending on sales the gto may be brought back again. the zeta platform which the gto is based on has is going to be killed off after its run with the gto from what i here anyway which would definately call for a body style change. and 2006 being the last year for the gto, it is a bad thing since they would be killing the gto but it would really only be because of sales numbers.
automatic is only a tenth of a second behind the manual transmission, for the 2004 gto the times were 5.3 manual and 5.4 auto for 2005 it is 4.6 manual and 4.7 auto. 2004 has 350 hp 05 has 400hp so there is a big gap but 04s have some insane prices like i picked up mine for 25k and only paid 15k with my trade.
gas mileage isnt bad i got about 16 city and 28 highway stock with a manual
before this i had a 99 trans am which also had the ls1 and it was pretty reliabe up til about 140k so i can only imagine the engine will at least be fine. and i use it as a daily driver.
all i can say is join the general before my ta i also had a rustang and when i signed on life suddenly became better with something much quicker and not as high as a truck
hope this info helps

·
Registered
386 Posts
sboylan said:
Were you not just flaming post whores this weekend? He's a new member and instead of welcoming him with basic answers you redicule him by being a smartass, real cool bossman, real cool. Welcome Killer, let us all raise a New Castle in honor of the GTO.

:cheers
I didn't flame any post whores. I stated that "lurkers" were better than post whores and then someone asked what a post whore was so I gave him a definition.

And back to the subject at hand. He is new, so I showed him the search function. I don't know if he as any prior knowledge of how internet forums work.

I was trying to be helpful. Everyone here always takes everything so negatively. Jesus, relax.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought an 05 auto which will be my daily driver. In less than 2 weeks, I have 1800 miles on it averaging about 19 mpg, if I can keep my leg out of it, which is very hard with a car this fun to drive. Extremely comfortable seats, and a joy to spend my workday in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if theres any info on the net about the 2006 model GTO? or is it basically going to be the same as the 2005. This car looks better and better the more i look at it. im still having a hard time deciding between the auto and manual. My route to work an auto would be better but with an auto will it have the same performance as a manual? reason asking is i tried out my buddys manual mustang to my auto mustang, and its so much faster in the manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.