Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been skeptical of fuel additives, especially octane boosters. However, I have heard some positive reviews regarding a product called Race-Gas

RACE GAS | Racing Fuel Concentrate

It seems legit and well informed. They claim to raise Octane 4 points per gallon using 2 ounces of their product. So, for example, I use 94 pump octane with 10 gallons of fuel. By adding 40 ounces, I would raise the Octane to 102.

Given GTO's have a high compression motor (pre 1972) of about 10:1 would this not be beneficial?

Has anyone tried this on their car? What were your results?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow. Sunoco seems quite proud of their race fuel. Almost $11/gal for 110? Petrol sodomy for a street driven muscle car. We have a product here called "Turbo Blue" race gas that can be bought at the pump in some stations for about $7.80 to $7.99. It's also 110 octane on the R+M/2 scale. Driving old cars isn't for the "faint of wallet"...

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I have had good results wth TEL130. It flat out works. So does aviation fuel, although it is less dense than regular gasoline. NONE of the '104+' type boosters work at all. Absolute waste of money. Have not tried the 'Race Gas' you mention. Been using TEL130 for 10 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had good results wth TEL130. It flat out works. So does aviation fuel, although it is less dense than regular gasoline. NONE of the '104+' type boosters work at all. Absolute waste of money. Have not tried the 'Race Gas' you mention. Been using TEL130 for 10 years.
Where do you find it? What kind of performance impact do you feel it has over 93/94 octane alone?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Google it. I ordered mine on-line long ago. Kemco Lead Supreme 130. No such thing as 93-94 octane here in CA. Only 91 octane diluted with 10% alcohol. The impact is no detonation running a normal timing curve. Without the high octane, slow burning fuel, you get severe detonation, which kills engines. Lower octane fuels burn faster, and have more energy than high octane fuels. The only reason fuels are high in octane is to slow the burn and to limit detonation to allow for high compression and more power in the long run. You can get Tululene (sp?) and add that to your fuel and it will up the octane, but it's super expensive...like $30 per gallon. (you'd need about 3 gallons per tank to make a difference).

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Where do you find it? What kind of performance impact do you feel it has over 93/94 octane alone?
Before you go too far down this path, remember this: octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to burn under increasing cylinder pressure without detonating --- ONLY. There only "performance impact" you get from higher octane fuel is negative -- it burns slower and makes LESS power than a comparable volume of lower octane fuel.

Study up on it...

The only reason to run higher octane fuel is when the engine has to have it to keep from getting into detonation.

Bear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts