Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Julie and I were on the way home from dinner. Ran into a silver GT-R on the highway. Did a 70-130 run and he only put about 2 car lengths max on me. I'm sure from a dig it would of slaughtered me but they are easily beatable from a roll.

My only go fast mods are used ported 243s, ported stock TB, LPE GT2-3 cam, JBA 05/06catless mids and catback, KNN cold air intake, and tune. STOCK EXHAUST MANI TOO.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Julie and I were on the way home from dinner. Ran into a silver GT-R on the highway. Did a 70-30 run and he only put about 2 car lengths max on me. I'm sure from a dig it would of slaughtered me but they are easily beatable fro from a roll.

My only go fast mods are used ported 243s, ported stock TB, LPE GT2-3 cam, JBA 05/06catless mids and catback, KNN cold air intake, and tune. STOCK EXHAUST MANI TOO.
I sure hope he put two car lengths on you doing a braking test. Those brakes are huge.;)

The car is a big car and weighs about the same as a GTO with only "480hp".

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed! lol

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've yet to see one in real life. I heard the local stealership has sold 2 already. I keep my eyes peeled but no luck. As for the HP, I've read in several different magazines that Nissan is making a mockery of the advertised HP (for insurance reasons perhaps?). They all say the car has way more HP then that, closer to 550+. There's no way a 4000+ pound car with only 480 HP can outrun a C6 Z06, which it did in several different tests, using several different cars (at least in Car and Driver anyways, they suspected Nissan gave them a Ringer car so they tested a few other cars and got the same results).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just happy as anything to keep up. Just a slightly bigger cam and I would of made him sad :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've yet to see one in real life. I heard the local stealership has sold 2 already. I keep my eyes peeled but no luck. As for the HP, I've read in several different magazines that Nissan is making a mockery of the advertised HP (for insurance reasons perhaps?). They all say the car has way more HP then that, closer to 550+. There's no way a 4000+ pound car with only 480 HP can outrun a C6 Z06, which it did in several different tests, using several different cars (at least in Car and Driver anyways, they suspected Nissan gave them a Ringer car so they tested a few other cars and got the same results).
It's maybe around 500hp. They were ringers, that's for sure. One of them hit 130mph 1.6 seconds quicker than a production version.

As is stands right now, production models are, at best, low, low 120mph cars but great ETs (mid/high 11s) due to very aggressive gearing and AWD. Wrote a few articles with mention of that and vs. Porsche.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I've seen one on the road once. All the other times it was at a show or dealership. I like the GTR its one of the top five non-GM's I would buy, If I had Jay Leno's coin.

·
Registered
154 Posts
did u talk to the guy after the race or thumbs up or anything.. i wonder if he was expecting that or not,,,they are some nice cars ive been lucky enough to see a couple on the road and both times they were on the freeway going over 100 easy,,sadly i was in my malibu both times

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've seen one on the road once. All the other times it was at a show or dealership. I like the GTR its one of the top five non-GM's I would buy, If I had Jay Leno's coin.
My preference is the new 7spd DCT 911TT. Quicker, faster, lighter, more refined, excellent dealer service, etc. etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The GT-R is a killer car but if you ran twin turbos (like the GT-R) on an '04-'06 GTO........
I think the GT-R would get embarrassed from a rolling start.
I think a supercharged GTO would embarrass it too.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've raced one and doubt that they have 550HP. Maybe 500.

The driving electronics and AWD should help make up for a power to weight ratio deficit.

Compared to the GTR, the Z06 will feel like it's fighting you on the turns.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've raced one and doubt that they have 550HP. Maybe 500.

The driving electronics and AWD should help make up for a power to weight ratio deficit.

Compared to the GTR, the Z06 will feel like it's fighting you on the turns.
+1. The aggressive gearing, AWD and driver's aids is why it ETs like "most" C6Z but it never matches the trap speed (production GT-Rs, that is).

Factor that with the handling, and that is why the lap times are close to the C6Z.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ditch the extra weight and you would have probably gained an extra car length! LOL! (I'm sure your wife is a lovely woman, but we're talking performance here and he had an unfair advantage I mean come on---an extra 115 lbs is gonna hamper you!). Considering the GT-R cost twice as much, us GTO owners should be proud.
I remember a review of the GTO from years ago when they ran it up against an AMG Hammer costing twice as much and they were impressed that the GTO was a great car able to keep right up with the AMG. For half the money, you have an excellent car that was almost as good despite a few minor refinements. Throw in a 1 to 2 grand to replace known issues with the suspension and 2-7 grand to boost horsepower, you have a car that can meet or beat these supercars. pretty cool when you think about your daily driver---eh!!

Besides, nothing beats having a big displacement V8 in the end!! especially at Higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
+1. The aggressive gearing, AWD and driver's aids is why it ETs like "most" C6Z but it never matches the trap speed (production GT-Rs, that is).

Factor that with the handling, and that is why the lap times are close to the C6Z.
From my experience with factory and after market turbo'd cars is that, even with the same turbo set ups, no 2 cars deliver the same power.

Sometimes there are cars that feel like it was made on a Weds and others that felt like Monday or Friday cars.

Also since the GTR has forged internals and they are turbo'd all the owner needs to do is to dial up the boost.

A few have already down that and are making 600whp.

Now, that's something a ZR-1 should be worried about.

·
Registered
377 Posts
From my experience with factory and after market turbo'd cars is that, even with the same turbo set ups, no 2 cars deliver the same power.
Do you mean the way they deliver the power or actual variances on the dyno?

BTW, do you ever go to Aqui in Campbell or events at Club Auto Sport?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts