Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my neighbor. He's had this car since it was new, I'm not exactly sure of the year but it does have the LS6 in it with 405hp. Anyway I seen him pulling out of his spot and I followed suit to se if he would play. He takes care of this car like it is his child so I was thinking he wouldn't. I pulled up next to him and immediately see him downshift so I do the same. I'm in first gear at about 30 mph and he figured he'd pull me easily and told me to hit it first then he'd follow. So I nailed it and to both of our amazement I ended up having a half a car on him by 90, then we shut down. Funny thing was, I never turned T/C off so I could actually feel that slowing me down all throguh first and some of second gear. Second race was the same thing only he hit it right when I did and I got him by a nose. So yeah, I'm happier than a pig in **** right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 06 gto ls2 has the same 405 that the ls6 has also the same manuel and auto trans,
So that win was strickly drivin skills and thats even a better win cudoes to you ,you make us proud ,ok i'm done cryin now

·
Registered
730 Posts
the 06 gto ls2 has the same 405 that the ls6 has also the same manuel and auto trans,
So that win was strickly drivin skills and thats even a better win cudoes to you ,you make us proud ,ok i'm done cryin now
not really and it is also carrying more weight. just stating the facts, carry on. nice kill

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Beleave it or not LS6/LS2 are two differant beast. I will agree with you on the driving skills 02+ Z06 are low 12's to high 11 sec cars if driven correctly.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
That is great kudos!!!!!:cheers

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, yeah, I have mods. Not many though. LT headers, catback exhaust, K&N intake and Pedders Street II suspension. He's soooooo pissed right now. He even started looking for stuff to do to his car, which is completely stock right now. Hopefully we can keep up this little rivalry, just me bein one step ahead of him :).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My new Car and Driver came in the mail yesterday. It has an article about their first actual test drive of the new ZR1, so if for no other reason, the issue is badass just because of that. However, there is an awesome article in there titled "the best new or used cars for $25,000".

Of the vehicles they pick, one of them is a 2002 Z06. I'm not sure if it was a typo or not, but it lists its top speed as 168 mph, redline limited. I thought they were faster then that. It goes on to say 0-60 in 4.0 sec. (faster then us), 1/4 mile in 12.4 sec. (faster then us) with 405 HP and a curb weight of 3181 lbs. (way lighter then us). All around, they should be able to handily ass rape a GTO. I was just suprised about the top speed, I've run 163 in my GTO and can't believe the C5 Z06 is only 5 mph faster then me.

FYI, the new and used vehicles they chose with a $25,000 budget were: 1991 Acura NSX, 2002 BMW M3, 2002 Vette Z06, 2005 Dodge Ram SRT10, 1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG, 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4, 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo, 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata, and the 2008 Volkswagen GTI. Good luck finding some of those rides for $25,000 or less, even if they are used.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
My new Car and Driver came in the mail yesterday. It has an article about their first actual test drive of the new ZR1, so if for no other reason, the issue is badass just because of that. However, there is an awesome article in there titled "the best new or used cars for $25,000".

Of the vehicles they pick, one of them is a 2002 Z06. I'm not sure if it was a typo or not, but it lists its top speed as 168 mph, redline limited. I thought they were faster then that. It goes on to say 0-60 in 4.0 sec. (faster then us), 1/4 mile in 12.4 sec. (faster then us) with 405 HP and a curb weight of 3181 lbs. (way lighter then us). All around, they should be able to handily ass rape a GTO. I was just suprised about the top speed, I've run 163 in my GTO and can't believe the C5 Z06 is only 5 mph faster then me.

FYI, the new and used vehicles they chose with a $25,000 budget were: 1991 Acura NSX, 2002 BMW M3, 2002 Vette Z06, 2005 Dodge Ram SRT10, 1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG, 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4, 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo, 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata, and the 2008 Volkswagen GTI. Good luck finding some of those rides for $25,000 or less, even if they are used.
They did list the Z06 as top speed of 168 and redline limited. I know that to be incorrect. The CTS-V with the LS-6 had 3.73 gears and made it into the 160's. Wikipedia lists it as 186 which seems high to me. I think it was in the mid to upper 170's from some other sources, but I just can't find them. Road and Track got 171 out of the 2001 Z06 which was rated at 385hp. The 02 and up Z06 made 30 more hp at the wheels.

I was able to find an article that claimed a top speed of 178 which leaves the C4 ZR1 as the fastest Vette till the C6 came out. I believe that top be in the ball park.

Funny thing about top speed, it takes tons of power to make a car go only slightly faster. That's where the ricers fall short versus real cars, they don't have the huge gobs of power needed for over 100 mph play. A light weight car is fast from 0-60 or 0 to 100. Weight is a minor issue in top speed.

I was able to get real low 12's and a couple hig elevens out of my C5 Z06 on street tires. With an intake a tune and DR's it went 11.501 at over 118 mph. They are not cars to be taken lightly. I think the neighbor of the OP needs to take some lessons in driving.

Just saw the GTO wasn't stock. Ok that should be a good race. I'd still give the advantage to the Z06, but they should be close.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've ran my friends 2001 FRC (fixed roof coupe) corvette 6 speed that had BRAND NEW DR's and full Borla exhaust. I'm driving a stock M6 2006 GTO. We ran all 3 runs at 60mph even, until just about 115mph. Same results all 3 runs, neck and neck until about 85mph, then he would slowly pull atleast a car on me each run. His car was almost the same speed as an 04 z06, since the FRC's came with 30 more horsepower than the regular C5's I believe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just saw the GTO wasn't stock. Ok that should be a good race. I'd still give the advantage to the Z06, but they should be close.
Yeah, if we raced past 90 mph, I think he would've gotten me. Right at the very top of third it seemed that he woul pick up some ground, but we weren't on a straight enough road to get up to triple digits. I believe his is an 04 but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've ran my friends 2001 FRC (fixed roof coupe) corvette 6 speed that had BRAND NEW DR's and full Borla exhaust. I'm driving a stock M6 2006 GTO. We ran all 3 runs at 60mph even, until just about 115mph. Same results all 3 runs, neck and neck until about 85mph, then he would slowly pull atleast a car on me each run. His car was almost the same speed as an 04 z06, since the FRC's came with 30 more horsepower than the regular C5's I believe.
If it's a 2001 FRC it's a Z06. They had 385 hp or 35 more than a targa coupe or convertible. The 02-04 Z06's had some improvements that netted a rated 405 hp. The bump was more like 30 hp at the wheels though.

A 2001 Z06 with DR's is a low to mid 12's car. The Borla exhaust isn't any help at all. The stock Z06 exhaust was very efficient and it was made of Titanium which made it in the neighborhood of 20 pounds lighter. My guess is the driver mod is what keeps you in play versus that car.

If your mistaken on the year and it's a 1999 or 2000 it's advantage over a targa coupe is weight, they were about 50 lbs lighter than the coupe. The FRC's all had the same drivetrain as the coupes.

The DR's wouldn't give him much advantage from a roll. A C5 Z06, even the 385 hp 2001 should walk a stock LS2 GTO pretty easily with equal drivers. The Vette has the advantage of 600 less pounds, better aerodynamics and wider tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts