Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 gto it is kickass gets alot of looks . Was going down the road last night and some jerk in a 05 mustang kept wanting to go so I let it go for a few minutes then couldnt take it any longer at the next light we both stopped so I went It looked like I was just about up to him after a half a block then he walked away from me. a few miles down the road i seen him again he had that big smerk on his face like most of the mustang a--holes :willy:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats why in 1 of the popular car mags they tested the 2 cars and the mustang won why is that . GTO was good a long time ago and its a fact that they turned into a grandmother car for a long time . Its pretty sad that the 05 is rated at 400 hp and still isnt faster then a stang

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey There,

I'm all for being one of the GTO faithful but, the 05 GT's are pretty quick off the line even stock. I've got a buddy with an 05 GT and he's added headers, race cats X-pipe, cold air in-take, electric water pump and smaller damper pulley, 4.10 gears and and reflashed the engine computer. He cleans my clock EVERY F'ing time but I guess he should be beating me because I saw him turn very low 12's on slicks. My car is too fat I guess but I still like it.

newgoat

·
Registered
136 Posts
newgoat said:
Hey There,

I'm all for being one of the GTO faithful but, the 05 GT's are pretty quick off the line even stock. I've got a buddy with an 05 GT and he's added headers, race cats X-pipe, cold air in-take, electric water pump and smaller damper pulley, 4.10 gears and and reflashed the engine computer. He cleans my clock EVERY F'ing time but I guess he should be beating me because I saw him turn very low 12's on slicks. My car is too fat I guess but I still like it.

newgoat
Put the same mods on a stock 05 GTO, and you will get the same results...A FASTER CAR! Do half the mods you named above on a 05 GTO and it will beat a 05 Ford Mus'take! :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

Are you saying I should spend even more money on my car that cost almost $9,000 more than the '05 Mustang GT? My wife would kill me! Pontiac should have given me a faster car to start with, it seems like it should be faster with a claimed 400HP but I think it just weights too much. I think he said he spent $3,500 for all this stuff installed and clipped over 1.4 seconds off his 1/4 times. This is as fast or faster than the late blown Cobras but he's still NA with none of the problems of a blower car. His car runs and sounds stock! If he added a cam and ported those 3 valve heads who knows how much more power he would have? He can already kill my 05 GTO and this is making me think about what I can do to catch up, got any ideas on how I can beat him without my wife complaining about it?

My car is at least 1.2-3 seconds slower than his cheaper pony, what's with that? Maybe I should have waited and seen how fast his car turned out before jumping in like a nut and buying the 05 GTO. The GTO's interior is nicer though and I think I get slightly better hyway mileage.

Sigh... trying to get at least even.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you wanted a race car you should have bought one. I plan on driving my goat to Memphis this summer from Chicago, which will be a long haul. There is no way I would even attempt it in one of those little Ford s***boxes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
newgoat said:
Hi,

Are you saying I should spend even more money on my car that cost almost $9,000 more than the '05 Mustang GT? My wife would kill me! Pontiac should have given me a faster car to start with, it seems like it should be faster with a claimed 400HP but I think it just weights too much. I think he said he spent $3,500 for all this stuff installed and clipped over 1.4 seconds off his 1/4 times. This is as fast or faster than the late blown Cobras but he's still NA with none of the problems of a blower car. His car runs and sounds stock! If he added a cam and ported those 3 valve heads who knows how much more power he would have? He can already kill my 05 GTO and this is making me think about what I can do to catch up, got any ideas on how I can beat him without my wife complaining about it?

My car is at least 1.2-3 seconds slower than his cheaper pony, what's with that? Maybe I should have waited and seen how fast his car turned out before jumping in like a nut and buying the 05 GTO. The GTO's interior is nicer though and I think I get slightly better hyway mileage.

Sigh... trying to get at least even.

Sounds like you're turning sour on the Goat, too earliy and for the wrong reasons. Just examine the points below:

#1 - If your buddy got his 'stang for under 28K he got a truly excellent deal, because that's what the dealers are charging. So the difference out there in the real world is somethng like 2-4K, and your car is significantly faster out of the box (by .7 - .8 sec in the 1/4 being a standard deal).
#2 - His car starts out with a lower final drive, a lower first (that's why they have some jump off the line, otherwise the 4.6 is real weak on low-end torque), but no 6th gear. Therefore, you could throw in an even lower final drive than him, get a humongous increase, and still turn lower rpm on the hwy.
#3 - The money he spent just puts the two cars even price-wise (in general), and he is now tapped for external mods (other than NOS), while you haven't even started. Yes the Goat is heavier (by 200 lbs is all really), but that's natural with the IRS, better sound proofing, better materials and a generally higher quality, more substantial car). Currently he's got, at the very most, a half a second on an '05 Goat (comparing cars with slicks), probably even less. Don't be impressed or dismayed so easily man.

What color combo is your Goat? Post a pic of the beautiful brute. :cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi PWR_SHIFT,

He paid sticker for a premium GT with leather interior upgrade package, MP3 playing 6 CD in dash 500 watt stereo with 6 speakers. metal trimed dash leather door inserts, leather covered wheel and shift boot with alloy shift knob, alloy scuff plates? on the door frame etc., I remember seeing the window sticker $27,800 plus the state sales tax. I rushed out and paid some $35,000 plus taxes for my new 400HP goat when they first showed up with 6 speed and 18's, just bought the first thing I saw. I guess the difference is less than I remembered but still, $7,000 buys a lot of beer and a good big screen!

Most of the magazines I've just seen recently are reporting 13.5 sec. or so for the 05 GT's and about the same for the 05 Goats with 6-speeds. I've seen faster ET's from MT and a few of the Ford enthusist magazines but they must be ringers unless there is a wide difference in the output from Ford's 4.6l 3-valve GT's. This doesn't seem like I started out faster than his car. Where have you seen a stock 05 GTO running 12.7-8's, what magazine and what issue? If my car went that fast I'd be within range of beating him with some gears, intake and a tune up maybe? He's running 12.2 flat ET's and getting faster as we speak, he told me he's ordering front and rear drag shocks to hook up better off the line and he still has a few tricks up his sleeve, what the heck else can he do, remove one end of the sway bar and put some skinny tires in front? Uncork the exaust? Jeeeze he'll be in the 11's soon and without power adders for crying out loud.

11 second ET's, this is FAST for a basically stock car to this old man. Back in the day (30 years ago), I think this would have been encroaching on the prostock cars' ET's. Isn't there something I can do to catch up at a reasonable price without a power adder to grenade my almost new engine?

Pleae help me!

BTW, our GTO is Red on Red leather! How can I keep the leather from drying out? What do you guys use to keep it from fading and cracking?

·
Registered
237 Posts
newgoat said:
Hi PWR_SHIFT,

He paid sticker for a premium GT with leather interior upgrade package, MP3 playing 6 CD in dash 500 watt stereo with 6 speakers. metal trimed dash leather door inserts, leather covered wheel and shift boot with alloy shift knob, alloy scuff plates? on the door frame etc., I remember seeing the window sticker $27,800 plus the state sales tax. I rushed out and paid some $35,000 plus taxes for my new 400HP goat when they first showed up with 6 speed and 18's, just bought the first thing I saw. I guess the difference is less than I remembered but still, $7,000 buys a lot of beer and a good big screen!

Most of the magazines I've just seen recently are reporting 13.5 sec. or so for the 05 GT's and about the same for the 05 Goats with 6-speeds. I've seen faster ET's from MT and a few of the Ford enthusist magazines but they must be ringers unless there is a wide difference in the output from Ford's 4.6l 3-valve GT's. This doesn't seem like I started out faster than his car. Where have you seen a stock 05 GTO running 12.7-8's, what magazine and what issue? If my car went that fast I'd be within range of beating him with some gears, intake and a tune up maybe? He's running 12.2 flat ET's and getting faster as we speak, he told me he's ordering front and rear drag shocks to hook up better off the line and he still has a few tricks up his sleeve, what the heck else can he do, remove one end of the sway bar and put some skinny tires in front? Uncork the exaust? Jeeeze he'll be in the 11's soon and without power adders for crying out loud.

11 second ET's, this is FAST for a basically stock car to this old man. Back in the day (30 years ago), I think this would have been encroaching on the prostock cars' ET's. Isn't there something I can do to catch up at a reasonable price without a power adder to grenade my almost new engine?

Pleae help me!

BTW, our GTO is Red on Red leather! How can I keep the leather from drying out? What do you guys use to keep it from fading and cracking?
Your particular price difference is larger than I'm used to seeing.
Also, I'd like to see his timeslips . . . and look carefully under his hood (my couzin's WRX STi that has hidden NOS, not as impressive when known). His mods don't add up. Even with a huffer Saleen can't get the new 'stang below high 12's, and that's within a couple of tenths (or less) of a well running stock '05 Goat.

Is your car an M6 or Auto?
How many miles on your car now? (If it's still young, wait 'til at least 2k miles for even close to full potential)
Have you dynoed it yet? You'll need a baseline.

What about pics? :confused

A well-driven '05 'stang on street tires is a 13.6-13.8 car (basically equivalent to an '04 GTO). A well-driven '05 GTO on street tires is a 12.9-13.2 car.

I go back to my original suggestion - final drive upgrade is your first order of business. A 4:10 on a GTO will pay huge dividends and really wake the car up. The Goat may go to a lower gear (4.56?) than a 'stang because your 6th gear ratio, if it's an M6, will still keep the rpms down. The LS2 also has more rpm range than the 4.6 (6500rpm vs. 6200) which also is in your favor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi PWR_SHIFT,

You don't belive what I'm telling you he and I paid for our cars? Why would I lie? I'm just telling you what I know on my end and what he told me. The 05 GT's when they are available are selling at sticker here. The 05 GTO's are selling at sticker here also, what's the problem?

Where did you see an 05 Saleen with a blower tested? What magazine did it appear in? I have not seen this article and would like to read it. I didn't think Saleen was even selling the new 05 screw blowers yet. Anyway, Saleen cars are very heavy and have large heavy wheels and tires which slows them down quite a bit. I also don't think they change out the diff. gears so your argument that Saleen can't get their car even into the mid 12's is weak at best. Saleen is all flash and additional plastic crap added for looks. I say leave all that extra junk on the dock, it only make you slower like the ricers.

Our new GTO is a red on red 6-speed, see where my name shows, I put it all in the info. My car now has about 3,800 miles on it. It does feel a bit looser now than when new (17 miles on it then), but not that much faster. We put a lot of miles on it when we first got it with a long driving trip to get to know her. The rest just around town and off to clients offices, dinner and tennis. I have not dyno'd the car yet but I'm getting the itch, it's really got legs out on the highway! A red on red 05 GTO looks like any other red on red GTO. I've seen several of them around but mostly yellow, black and silver color 05 GTO's. No pictures yet, it's just a stock GTO at the moment.

Where did you see your ET's from? I have never seen any magazine publish a stock 05 GTO turning a 12.9 ET. I think C&D just ran a comparison of the 05 GTO and 05 GT and the car they had was nowhere near this fast. Of course they also couldn't get the Mustang GT to go very fast either but the differences were no more than a few 1/10's in the testing they did. I've seen his slips and he's not BS'ing anybody, his ET's were on the board for all to see. I don't recall his 60 ft. numbers but the ET's were consistantly in the 12.2 range so I don't doubt that he will get the GT into the 11's on a good day once he get's the last of his parts on the car and works on his launch. I recently heard there was some other car magazine that tested an 05 GT with even fewer bolt-on's and they got the test car into the low-mid 12's also. I have to ask my buddy where he saw this test, it had to be recent though. His car is driven daily to work so I doubt that he had time to have anybody go to the trouble of hidding a NO2 system under the manifold and even if they did the bottle would be obvious as would the purge valve and solenoids. Also his car has few miles on it than mine does and he got his GT after I got the GTO. Trust me, I've been over every inch of his car as he has mine and I can vouch for the stockness of the car excpet for the items he told me about.

About the RPM range the OHV 4.6 modulars engines can run, he has the rev. limiter set to 6,500RPM. He claims that the engine can take more RPM with valve springs and a cam. This is probably true, I've been in an 03 GT with 4 valve heads that turns 7,600 RPM when racing but this is a $20,000, highly modified engine in a car that is mostly race car and not pleasent to drive on the street. I've ridden shotgun in that thing and it's too loud and too stiff and you can barely get in and out of the car because the whole thing is full of tubes for the cage and tubes that connect the front and back half of the car. That Mustang GT is a road course car with full coil over Griggs suspension front and rear and fabricated arms and front chassis. Still had the solid rear axle but it stuck really well during my 3 hour ride in the car running through the canyons.

What have you done to your GTO? What hop-up parts have you seen for the 05 GTO that are known to work? I've been looking over the GTO forums and can't seem to find anything concrete to work from. All the excitement at SEMA and the vendors seems to be in the Ford market at the moment. Will we ever get effective hop-ups for the GTO given tha fact that the new Mustang is outselling the GTO's geeze by at least 5 to 1?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
newgoat said:
Hi PWR_SHIFT,

You don't belive what I'm telling you he and I paid for our cars? Why would I lie? I'm just telling you what I know on my end and what he told me. The 05 GT's when they are available are selling at sticker here. The 05 GTO's are selling at sticker here also, what's the problem?

Where did you see an 05 Saleen with a blower tested? What magazine did it appear in? I have not seen this article and would like to read it. I didn't think Saleen was even selling the new 05 screw blowers yet. Anyway, Saleen cars are very heavy and have large heavy wheels and tires which slows them down quite a bit. I also don't think they change out the diff. gears so your argument that Saleen can't get their car even into the mid 12's is weak at best. Saleen is all flash and additional plastic crap added for looks. I say leave all that extra junk on the dock, it only make you slower like the ricers.

Our new GTO is a red on red 6-speed, see where my name shows, I put it all in the info. My car now has about 3,800 miles on it. It does feel a bit looser now than when new (17 miles on it then), but not that much faster. We put a lot of miles on it when we first got it with a long driving trip to get to know her. The rest just around town and off to clients offices, dinner and tennis. I have not dyno'd the car yet but I'm getting the itch, it's really got legs out on the highway! A red on red 05 GTO looks like any other red on red GTO. I've seen several of them around but mostly yellow, black and silver color 05 GTO's. No pictures yet, it's just a stock GTO at the moment.

Where did you see your ET's from? I have never seen any magazine publish a stock 05 GTO turning a 12.9 ET. I think C&D just ran a comparison of the 05 GTO and 05 GT and the car they had was nowhere near this fast. Of course they also couldn't get the Mustang GT to go very fast either but the differences were no more than a few 1/10's in the testing they did. I've seen his slips and he's not BS'ing anybody, his ET's were on the board for all to see. I don't recall his 60 ft. numbers but the ET's were consistantly in the 12.2 range so I don't doubt that he will get the GT into the 11's on a good day once he get's the last of his parts on the car and works on his launch. I recently heard there was some other car magazine that tested an 05 GT with even fewer bolt-on's and they got the test car into the low-mid 12's also. I have to ask my buddy where he saw this test, it had to be recent though. His car is driven daily to work so I doubt that he had time to have anybody go to the trouble of hidding a NO2 system under the manifold and even if they did the bottle would be obvious as would the purge valve and solenoids. Also his car has few miles on it than mine does and he got his GT after I got the GTO. Trust me, I've been over every inch of his car as he has mine and I can vouch for the stockness of the car excpet for the items he told me about.

About the RPM range the OHV 4.6 modulars engines can run, he has the rev. limiter set to 6,500RPM. He claims that the engine can take more RPM with valve springs and a cam. This is probably true, I've been in an 03 GT with 4 valve heads that turns 7,600 RPM when racing but this is a $20,000, highly modified engine in a car that is mostly race car and not pleasent to drive on the street. I've ridden shotgun in that thing and it's too loud and too stiff and you can barely get in and out of the car because the whole thing is full of tubes for the cage and tubes that connect the front and back half of the car. That Mustang GT is a road course car with full coil over Griggs suspension front and rear and fabricated arms and front chassis. Still had the solid rear axle but it stuck really well during my 3 hour ride in the car running through the canyons.

What have you done to your GTO? What hop-up parts have you seen for the 05 GTO that are known to work? I've been looking over the GTO forums and can't seem to find anything concrete to work from. All the excitement at SEMA and the vendors seems to be in the Ford market at the moment. Will we ever get effective hop-ups for the GTO given tha fact that the new Mustang is outselling the GTO's geeze by at least 5 to 1?

Okay you got beat by a modded Stang. Who cares? What happens if you get beat by a modded STi or Evo8? Will you modify your Goat then? It seems to me that you just don't like the fact that you're getting beat by a Mustang. Just like fighting, there is no fairness in racing. His car is modded and yours is not. So automatically the advantage goes to your buddy. You bought the GTO for a reason. Whether you looked at the '05 Stangs or not, you still ended up with the Goat. Maybe the power output of the Goat is what got you hooked. Well that's what did it for me. But when I test drove it and checked out the build and quality of the entire car, I wanted it even more. But I didn't buy my car to race it. So if I decided to race someone and lost, I'm still driving home, in my opinion, one of the best cars on the market. Look, when you try to, so call, keep up with the Jones' you're gonna have to spend money. And money seems to be a big issue here. And the fact that your wife will probably choke the life out of you if you spend to much of it.

Bottom line is... you can't win every race.

·
Registered
60 Posts
:agree

Ok, just surfing the net for fun to see if I can even find a 12 second stock Mustang, the first thing I come across is 03' Cobra times. When you look at these specs carefully, you will see mid 12's on the stocks (supercharger and intercooler) and 11's on the modified ones.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0405mm_4valve/

Now if I took the price difference of 28k that I paid for my Goat and added ANY supercharger and intercooler (about 6-8k), that would still be less than the price of a brand new Cobra. Plus, I would be running the 11's. I'm sure we can get into this mathematical arguement for now until......

I'm sorry, I just don't see what you are looking for. If you were looking for the fastest 1/4 mile car, maybe you should have invested in something cheap and added some NoS. If you were looking for a Solo II racer, maybe you should have looked at an S2000. But pound for pound, with EVERYTHING being considered, I think you bought the better car.

Yes, the Mustang GT is outselling the GTO. But I can also RENT a pony car at Hertz. Try and find another GTO around you. There isn't many. And hell, resale value alone is going to be at least double that of the Mustang. Look at how much an Impala SS with an LT1 cost right now. And look at how much a pony gt of the same year is. No comparision. Also, in about 10 years, your car is going to be in great shape as long as you care for it, with the motor not needing any adjustments other than maybe seals. The 4.6 falls apart at around 80k. And I won't even get into what the heads look like on a 4 cylinder that has 300hp after 25k. If you haven't seen them, use your imagination.

Just try to enjoy your car man. And if not, I'm sure there are plenty of dealers that will be willing to take your Goat off of your hands.

·
Registered
314 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Okay you got beat by a modded Stang. Who cares? What happens if you get beat by a modded STi or Evo8? Will you modify your Goat then? It seems to me that you just don't like the fact that you're getting beat by a Mustang. Just like fighting, there is no fairness in racing. His car is modded and yours is not. So automatically the advavntage goes to your buddy. You bought the GTO for a reason. Whether you looked at the '05 Stangs or not, you still ended up with the Goat. Maybe the power output of the Goat is what got you hooked. Well that's what did it for me. But when I test drove it and checked out the build and quality of the entire car, I wanted it even more. But I didn't buy my car to race it. So if I decide to race someone and lost, I'm still driving home, in my opinion, one of the best cars on the market. Bottom line is, when you try to, so call, keep up with the Jones' you're gonna have to spend money. And money seems to be a big issue here. And the fact that your wife will probably choke the life out of you if you spend to much of it.

Bottom line is... you can't win every race.

:cheers

·
Registered
237 Posts
newgoat said:
Hi PWR_SHIFT,

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you . . . other than that it just amazes me that you seem to know so much more about your buddy's s**t can, and 'stangs in general, than about your own Goat.

Somewhere within his post 6QTS11OZ implied a basic question - why did you buy the GTO?

Best of luck to ya' "newgoat".

·
Registered
19 Posts
newgoat,

I know how u feel about getting whooped on and then wondering if you made the right choice. I had a run in with a turbo 350Z and a S 600 Benz (v-12 twin turbo) I don't even want to talk about it. I've personally never raced a modified 05' GT but stock ones always end up in my rearview mirror and I have an 04' automatic. I was recently at California Speedway (fontana CA.) on March 26th for the street legal drags.
I ran an [email protected] with wheel hop and trying to manually shift, bouncing off the rev limiter in third gear. Needless to say it could and will be better next time. But it's nowhere near the time that your 05' Goat is capable of. Yet I'm happy with my choice of cars based on the fact that I drove the 05' Mst GT
an was not impressed enough to buy it. Lets face it, most likely we could of all bought 04' Cobras thrown some pulleys on em and called it a day if all we wanted to do is race everybody. But those of us who have driven an 03-04' Cobra knows its not a friendly dailey driver (how about that clutch) and I don't even have to mention interior.
anyways be happy you have a serious machine and when you get close to 10k miles you will understand what the words "Break in" really mean.
:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Hey NewGoat,

I think you are a Mustang owner with an axe to grind, several things in your post are not accurate. You say you have 3800 miles on your car and you also state your car came with 18's.

newgoat said:
I rushed out and paid some $35,000 plus taxes for my new 400HP goat when they first showed up with 6 speed and 18's, just bought the first thing I saw.
That would make your car at least 2 months old, 05 gto's have yet to be delivered with 18's and are expected around the summer.

I have banned 12 other Mustang owners from the AFM forum for the same BS. I personally don't care about your thoughts or opinions on the GTO. I did not buy my GTO to race mustangs and I don't care how fast a mustang can run.

Thanks for stopping by and at least being civil. BTW, get a life!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts