Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to race an 05 yesterday, WOW what an improvement over the last years!! I have a 04 srt4. We went from about 40 to 120, when we started it was a single lane that splits in to two lanes. When we got to the two lanes we were going about 75 and I managed to pull about 3 feet on him (about my front bumper to were his back bumper was) and from there it stayed dead even to 120, were we let off. Now my srt4 is not stock so don’t freak out and throw up the bs flag just yet. It’s got a stage1 computer and different waste gate. I run water injection. And it’s got 3 inch exh. with no cat. I had the boost set at 18psi. (Max is 21) I raced my car a few weeks back and ran a 12.71 @107.8 on slicks. The guy stopped and talked for a bit witch was very cool of him; he even let me sit in his car. Sweet ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still hard to believe the SRT4 could even hang with the '05 GTO. I've raced several SRT4s and I can blow them out with half pedal (no I'm not kidding or boasting). The SRT4 just is not fast at all. However with a ton of mods, MAYBE it's possible on a bad day.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
dapper24 said:
Still hard to believe the SRT4 could even hang with the '05 GTO. I've raced several SRT4s and I can blow them out with half pedal (no I'm not kidding or boasting). The SRT4 just is not fast at all. However with a ton of mods, MAYBE it's possible on a bad day.
I've owned an SRT-4 and I have a 04 GTO, I must disagree with you! The SRT-4's are no slouches!!!! Maybe you don't realize how cheap the mods are he listed and the times he's running in a 4 door NEON!!! Mine was slightly faster (12.5's) but I had pretty much the same mods he does..... :cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Talked to a guy with a tricked-out Evo VIII the other day. He said those SRTs are "the" car that really scare him. You just don't expect them to be that fast.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
patrun64 said:
Talked to a guy with a tricked-out Evo VIII the other day. He said those SRTs are "the" car that really scare him. You just don't expect them to be that fast.
:agree
...just talked to one of my friends who went to the street races this weekend and he said there was an SRT-4 (of which is another one of my friends) stomping the hell out of Cobras, Lightnings, and other misc cars...one of the Cobras he raced had pulleys, exhaust, headers and a 100 shot. Of course the SRT4 is spraying as well and has a bunch of sh*t done to it! :cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
GTODEALER said:
:agree
...just talked to one of my friends who went to the street races this weekend and he said there was an SRT-4 (of which is another one of my friends) stomping the hell out of Cobras, Lightnings, and other misc cars...one of the Cobras he raced had pulleys, exhaust, headers and a 100 shot. Of course the SRT4 is spraying as well and has a bunch of sh*t done to it! :cheers
That Neon won't last long. The engine will go soon.

·
Registered
476 Posts
dapper24 said:
The SRT-4 is light, AWD and can fly off the line.

....but who wants to drive a Neon? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
if modded properly a neon is fast as hell, but its still a neon, i had a black one behind trying to ride my bumper, then he trys to pass me @ 75mph :seeya: i dropped down to 4th and hit it, after i put about 3 or 4 cars on him (130mph) i slowed down and he did the loser fly by :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fast is one thing, but I could not be seen in a neon. I have to at least feel good about what the car I am driving looks like. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
srt-4's are fwd only, if thats all you can afford then by all means by one, BUT, its not for me, i driven several and i cannot get used to the small size and lack, BIG LACK OF GRUNT, that a big v-8 has :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
The SRT-4 is basically the new age "Road Runner", and for 21K it's a heck of a quick car and a real bargain. So that you know, right off the showroom floor the 2.4L Turbo in the SRT-4 chassis dynos above its 230HP SAE power rating, and the stock set up has a turbocharger which is tiny compared with the ones in the EVo and the STi. As a matter of fact, stock vs. stock the SRT-4 dyons out higher than the EVO and is only about 20-25HP under the STi. From a roll the SRT will hang with an STi and demolish the Evo (off the line of course FWD is its achilles heel).

Still a Neon? Basically . . . but very quick right out of the box and REALLY easy to put into low 12's (the car weighs next to nothin', or about 2900lbs in hard #s) can even get it right form the dealership as a Mopar Stage-3 set-up, i.e. 310HP on pump gas, and 354HP on race gas . . . EASY. Also it won't break as easily as you'd like to think. The 2.4L is hell for strong - one professional drag racer had his boosted to over 800HP, and it kept on going on the STOCK lower end, until he finally twisted the crank, didn't break it, just twisted it a few degrees about the mains.

Trust me!

All that said and respect duly given, yeah, the Goat is just in a differerent league as far as overall automotive enjoyment goes . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
maby a little off subject but it kinda relates: I'm the kid who would absolutely DIE for the true American Muscle the GTO offers. However, I'm strapped for cash and still want a fast car. Would a used SRT-4 be my ticket to cheap happyness? If so, what mods would be the cheapest to get it going? And what year to buy (used)? Thx. I envy those of you who have GTO's... one day I will join you =)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
TexasRealtor said:
The SRT-4 is light, AWD and can fly off the line.

....but who wants to drive a Neon? :rolleyes:
WTH? SRT-4's are front wheel drive and they are one of the heaviest front wheel drive cars out there! :willy:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
GTObsessor said:
maby a little off subject but it kinda relates: I'm the kid who would absolutely DIE for the true American Muscle the GTO offers. However, I'm strapped for cash and still want a fast car. Would a used SRT-4 be my ticket to cheap happyness? If so, what mods would be the cheapest to get it going? And what year to buy (used)? Thx. I envy those of you who have GTO's... one day I will join you =)
PM me and I'll give you all you could want to know about both! :cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
GTObsessor said:
Better route is a DSM also known as Eclipse/Talon. You can be in the 11's for the price of a new srt4. I have a 95 Talon with only a Big 28 turbo and stock boost and it is in the mid 13's, turn up the boost and you will be in the 12's easy, for around 1k. The other plus is awd!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not realize that this tread would get this much attention!! My car is 3250 with me in it (I'm 170) I dynoed last year before the Waste gate and exh. The numbers were 249 HP and 279 tq. I'm guessing but id think it should be around 275-285 hp and 320+ tq. As far as dependability guys are making 425 to 450 on pump gas with big turbo upgrades and they have been doing it for at least a year. The weak part on our cars is the clutch. Mine's do for an upgrade. I would have to love to have gone for another try at it with 2 more pounds of boost; I think this would be a door to door race!! But he had to get going, we swapped phone numbers and want to go to the track whenever I go next. If you have any questions about my car shoot me a PM. For general SRT info try out srtforums.com
Thanks
Nick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts