Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a Rack N Pinion steering on a 65 GTO. I would like to make the change and have seen one done which was at a Goodguys show at the Texas Motor Speedway. Ideas are appreciated.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Call Chris Sutton at Street Rod Garage.......I just posted some pics in the resto section, 67 GTO w/R&P.....Eric
Your chassis is custom made from scratch to utilize the r&p. Trying to install one on a stock frame and not have severe bump steer is near impossible. I've seen some for the A bodies and it's a strange animal that moves a bar back and forth in a cylinder to move the tie rods.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I've heard of the bump steer issues......personally, on a stock chassis, I would go with a "close ratio" steering box and some suspension upgrades.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I've heard of the bump steer issues......personally, on a stock chassis, I would go with a "close ratio" steering box and some suspension upgrades.
That's the best approach. Global West makes the best upper arms with their Delrin bushings but there are others that are comparable, such as Detroit Speed. You don't need to replace the lowers as there is no geometrical changes like the uppers. Just be sure to replace the lower bushings to match whatever is in the uppers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts