Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car since just before Xmas, and now have around 12k miles on it - "not excessive" I hear you say. Problem is, it's on a SmartBuy contract w/15k miles per year in it. Looks like I'll blow by that, and I'm wondering how I should handle it - don't want to get stuck with a big bill when the term is up. Any thoughts? (Yeah, I know, drive less). :confused

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You have a lot of options:

1. Park on train tracks a month before your term is up.

2. Leave running in crummy part of town.

3. Park on train tracks in crummy part of town with the keys in it.

Sorry I'm not much help. There's a poster here, Tom from New York State, who's really into leasing. If anybody knows about this stuff -- he does. I've never thought about leasing before -- but makes some pretty good arguments in favor of it.

Look him up in the members list and shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
937 Posts
jontyrees said:
I've had the car since just before Xmas, and now have around 12k miles on it - "not excessive" I hear you say. Problem is, it's on a SmartBuy contract w/15k miles per year in it. Looks like I'll blow by that, and I'm wondering how I should handle it - don't want to get stuck with a big bill when the term is up. Any thoughts? (Yeah, I know, drive less). :confused
3 things.
1.)Buy the vehicle when the lease is up.
2.)Lease another Pontiac when the lease is up and get the dealer to nix the over-mileage as part of the deal. (Dodge does this all the time for my boss)
3.)Turn in your lease early for another Pontiac lease. (Dodge also loves doing this for him, they will do anything to get you into another lease.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
End of Smart Buy options

My GTO is my second GMAC Smart Buy. I went with it because I can modify the car as if it was my own yet I have the option of simply letting go of it at the end of the contract. In a lease you can't modify the vehicle. Another nice thing about the Smart Buy is that you don't have to guess what the vehicle will be worth at the end of the contract since GMAC has taken the risk. So, if the vehicle depreciates more than the market average I minimize my risk. Same goes if it depreciates less than the market average.

These are your options at the end of the contract.

1.) Simply turn the vehicle into any GM dealership. If your miles are over the allotted amount on your contract you pay as set amount in the fine print. This may be something like 20 cents per mile. If you are under the miles in the contract, then you just turn the car in. Normal wear and tear are taken into consideration.

2.) Finance the remaining balloon payment balance. With a Smart Buy you are paying for the cost of the vehicle during the time you keep it. So, if you have a three-year contract you pay for the usage of those three years. The balloon payment is the value left in the car that hasn't been paid. The remaining value (balloon) may be like thirty percent of the original purchase price. Oh, and the remaining value is in line with market values, so you won't have a difficult time finding a lender to refinance the balance at a good interest rate.

3.) You can sell the car on the open market. This is advantageous to you if the market for the car goes up better than average. Generally, only high priced imports or exotic cars will maintain a better than average resale value. Think BMW or Mercedes Benz.

I should note that you can haggle with the dealer a little over residual values and excessive mileage fees. But, be careful because most dealers don't write a lot of Smart Buys or Leases. Thus, each Smart Buy or Lease must be reviewed by GMAC for accuracy before the contract is final and valid. The contract on my GTO was rewritten three times before it was correct. After the second contract I started complaining and the dealer actually adjusted mileage fees to my advantage. I then received $700.00 cash in a no money down purchase after $5750 in incentives.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JMVorbeck said:
3 things.
1.)Buy the vehicle when the lease is up.
2.)Lease another Pontiac when the lease is up and get the dealer to nix the over-mileage as part of the deal. (Dodge does this all the time for my boss)
3.)Turn in your lease early for another Pontiac lease. (Dodge also loves doing this for him, they will do anything to get you into another lease.)
I was thinking about the option of picking up another lease at the end of the period - that'll depend on Pontiac actually offering a car I like at that time of course. The purchase option probably isn't going to be real appealing if I've racked up way more miles than the residual allowed for - I'd be paying more than market for the car.

Guess I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. Getting stolen or totalled would be financially the best outcome for me, but I'm not much for insurance fraud.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hehe.. 2004 Speedometers read 2.91% high, therefore by 30K you've accumulated an extra 900 miles or so ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.