Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Wallyworld. Thats were I bought my el-cheapo radar detector back in the day, that had Lazer, Ka band, city, hiway. For about $100. Worked good, didn't get pulled over.:willy:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a cobra radar detector from walmart for about $50. And i bought 2 whistlers from walmart for about the same price. I have one in all of my cars and i use them at all times. There is no telling how many tickets my radar detectors have saved me from. They are great! 99% of the time the police use x band from what i have experienced. Some state troopers will use laser and if you see Ka band beeping most of the time that is set off by automatic doors at grocery stores and the like. At least in my area they are the only radar bands i see.
Check this out. It has one similar to what i bought for $37. I personally like the cobra a little more than the whistler. But they both work very well.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=radar+detector

·
Registered
141 Posts
Solo S2 is what i got, Really basic, but no wires, and has save my butt a couple of times....theyre getting older so the price is coming down..

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll just say this: I haven't gotten any speeding tickets since I stopped using my radar detector four years ago.
well i drove for 5 years before i got a ticket (85 in a 65... voluntary traffic school and a $200 fine out of state,never transfered no insurance hike) and then i got another ticket( 46 in a 35... city ordinance ticket luckally) and then i got a radar detector. And i know for sure that ive been saved on many occasions from potential tickets. And if you drive the speed limit you wont get a speeding ticket. For the most part i stay within the speed limit now that im a little older and wiser, but you dont want to be caught when you decide to drop the hammer and run it up to 130mph

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have the valentine one. yea its pretty freakin expensive but its one of the most sensitive radars on the market. i gotta hand it to them, the V1 guys really know their stuff. helped me out a few times.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I'm not sure if having it made me feel invincible, or if cops like to pick on people that have one hung in their window...

Probably a combination of both. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I've got ticketed once after the many years of not having one. Thats because I was not vigilent and the sun was in my eyes going 70 in a 55. Hey I didn't want my ice cream to melt on a 30mile trip home:) I think radar detectors do little to prevent you from getting a ticket. Lasers are shot at you rather than scan like radars. I usally go 5-10 mph over the speed limit and haven't had any trouble with the cops.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The thing i couldn't stand about the cheap ones is they go off for convenient stores, electric signs and all kind of things. I use a Beltronics gx-65 and will never look back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts