Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a radiator fluid leak. Less than a teaspoon in 24 hrs.
I put paper towels down and it is dripping from the center of the rear of the oil pan.(where the cork seal is) But there is no oil leaking. which leads me to believe it's "migrating" from elsewhere.:confused
Looking around yesterday i found dampness under both of the hoses on the heater core and the fitting on the head that the short hose goes to.
I tightened them real good and now 24 hrs later I still have a leak.
(there was a tad under the top hose of the heater core but this hardly seems a likely source
There seems to kinda always be some on the rear of the valley pan.
But when I run my calibrated finger between the intake manifold and the upper edges of the valley pan I come up dry.
ps, the car has not been run in weeks
Any ideas?
Thanks as always
TK
:cheers

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Check the heater hose nipple where it exits the right/rear head, also a couple other plugs that screw in in that imediate area.....E

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
had similar leak...the press fit nipple that goes into the rear of the head on the passenger side will come loose sometimes if you have had them off and leak down in that vicinity. try a deep well socket over the nipple so it just contacts the edges at the base and give it a few taps then re-attach the hose and make sure to clamp it good and tight especially if your hose is a straight piece (factory hose had a molded bend) as to flex and make the connection it will pull at it and leak a bit on the backside.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Topper, also check the thermostat gasket. Coolant can seep out, and it'll run down the center of the valley pan and end up at the back of the engine as you describe. From what you've said, my money is on the heater hoses/nipple.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
What kind of clamps are you using? Tower clamps while looking good and authentic can have issues. Every one I installed after putting engine back in had to be played with to stop leaking. Still the one on the lower radiator refused to cooperate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts