Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still trying to track down my slight rad. fluid leak.
Im finding fluid on the rear top of the valley pan.
I put a piece of clean paper towel under the "nipple" on the rear of the passanger head.......
I know this piece is pressed in.
Also that there part of it is broken off.
If this turns out to be the culprit..........how much trouble is it to remove the dam thing and replace it?
It was rusted on the inside...then hot tanked,yet I know that if I start monkeying with it it will fragment.
ideas?
thanks as always

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Hey Top, looks like it's broken through the sealing "bead" around the top - and that's probably where your leak is coming from. Those things are pressed in, just like the block "freeze" plugs and can be replaced. They're getting "pricey" these days though, being as far as I know a Pontiac only item. I think I paid $50 + for one. Your idea about testing for the leak there sounds like a good one. If you find out that's where it's leaking from, then get yourself a replacement on-hand first, then you can drain the coolant (petcock on bottom of radiator) and use a hammer and cold-chisel to coax the old one out. Put a dab of sealant on the new one and finesse it in using a large socket on top of it and a mallet.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, but I just dont have evidence of a leak there.
I do have a small pool of rad fluid on the rear top of the valley pan.
where else could it be comming from?
dosnt seem to be the thermostat.
ps, im not running the motor so nothing's circulating
thanks as always

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
If it's not the T-stat and not the nipple it could be the intake manifold at the front passage. Take a dental mirror and a flashlight and some white toilet paper or a paper towel and check it out. Could also be the front seal between the timing cover and intake, but usually these leak all over the timing cover........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts