Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am trying to use #10 soild wire ( I tried coat hangars but they were too flimsy) but I cannot seem to pull the radio out. I can hear/feel the wire grab, but when I try to pull, the wire comes out. How much force do I need to use to pull it out? I don't have sheetrock screws small enough to go in the holes (i think) but I might have some nails.
I want to do the hardwire ipod mod.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Jake

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just removed mine today to install the jhp gauge pod. I used a "thick" hanger like the ones found on most pant hangers (just a little bit thicker than standard) and bent them to a U shape. Next I used a grinder to put a lip on the ends of the hanger (1/8” from the tips) to grab the tab release indent. The final step in fashioning this tool was to put a slight flare on the ends; about 1/4" down at 10-20*. The lip and flare both must point towards the inside of the radio on both sides. To remove the radio, simultaneously insert the two tools in all four holes, pulling both outward (to push the tabs in) and backwards to pull the radio out. The ends of the tool only need to go in the holes about 1.25 – 1.5 inches. If it goes further, you have pushed too far.

As a suggestion, you may want to put some electrical or masking tape around the holes to prevent scratching as the tool has a high probability of popping out multiple times before finally working. If you are not in a hurry, get the proper tool from installer.com.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone! I got the radio out ( I had to use a flat screwdriver to help disconnect the harness). It slid right out afterwards.

Thanks again!
Jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.