Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my radio ticks on the AM stations....kinda like in the old days with the coil interference BUT.....my key is off and the engine is not running. Whats the deal?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Ok, my radio ticks on the AM stations....kinda like in the old days with the coil interference BUT.....my key is off and the engine is not running. Whats the deal?
Your radio will play for a few minutes or so when the engine is shut off key in off position. It will shut off when the door opens.

Does it do this all the time?

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 04 GTO has this problem. AM only, with engine running or not. I even changed out the radio in an attempt to correct but it's still there. Is this a common thing? I also have an '05 but it doesn't do it. Is it perhaps just poor antenna reception?

·
Registered
252 Posts
my 04 GTO has this problem. AM only, with engine running or not. I even changed out the radio in an attempt to correct but it's still there. Is this a common thing? I also have an '05 but it doesn't do it. Is it perhaps just poor antenna reception?
Definitley sounds like interferance. Especially if its not doing it on the FM frequencies. If it has only recently started doing this I might suggest possible chaffing on the antenna cable. I know you would think if it were that then the FM frequencies would be affected as well, thats not the case because the FM frequecnies are not as susceptible to frequency fluctuation as the AM stations. Just a thought

·
Registered
27 Posts
it sounds like old fashioned radio interference that might have come from spark/coil/distributor but the fact that it doesn't increase with rpm's and it still does it with the engine not running says it has nothing to do with the motor. It is most noticeable on weak AM signals but that may be because the stronger signal may drown it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts