Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way back from a trip to FT Lauderdale, and was running 27 through the center of Fl. I had plenty of time and didn't feel like hitting the Turnpike. Just north of Sebring I ended up at a light beside this white CTS-V. The guy looked over but didn't realize what he was beside. When the light turned green I stepped down a bit and started to pull on him. He real quick gets into it so I did too. We stayed with me about 2 cars ahead through the rest of first and part of second till the next light.
I watched the light close and got an ok launch, but he knew his car and hooked hard and launched great. He pulled about 1 and a half car lengths on me and held that through first. 2nd I started to close a little and by the top of second we were almost even. at about 100 I had him by almost a car length, and the aerodynamics started to take it's toll on him. By 120 I had 3+ cars on him and was starting to pull hard. We quit there.
I only had 1100 (1250 now) miles on it. I think once this thing is broken in, it's going to scream.
Oh well I'm 1for 1 and it was against a respectable contender.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe he had the car painted to make it look special none the less you still tokk him out, and that is all that matters good job :party: :cheers :party: :cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
MoreMoonShine said:
Cadillac doesn't make a white CTS-V.....it's either another car, or a custom job???
:confused
In southern Florida that white appearance may have been due to large quantities of unsnorted blow that somehow wound up sticking to the car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
^^^ :rofl:

Now this is what I'm talking about. Nice kill. You went up against a nice car with a real close motor. (or the same one?)

But now was it a "V"?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MoreMoonShine said:
Cadillac doesn't make a white CTS-V.....it's either another car, or a custom job???
:confused

It was white, I thought I had never seen a V in white. The front and rear fascia's looked like a V. It had the mesh grille and the big front opening below the grille and the lower rear fascia with the duals and it had the same wheels as a V. Definately had a V8 from the sound. had the V8 badge on the fender. I'm looking at it on the Cadillac website, and if it wasn't a V someone spent a lot of effort to make it look like one. I'm not sure if this is possible, but could someone have ordered it special, since they do make a CTS in white? The platinum color is more silver than white.
God I hope it was a V or this thing is a lot slower than it feels. LOL.
Oh well we change it to a CTS. I now need to go hunting a V. Then we'll know for certain. Everybody take back the congrats on a good kill.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Just made an awesome kill! A 1977 AMC Concorde sedan. White, burgundy interior (with falling headliner) and burgundy top. Totally smoked it.

Actually it kind of smoked itself -- as it blew all kinds of water and crap out its tailpipe along with a gigantic cloud of smoke. :eek:

·
Registered
314 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Just made an awesome kill! A 1977 AMC Concorde sedan. White, burgundy interior (with falling headliner) and burgundy top. Totally smoked it.

Actually it kind of smoked itself -- as it blew all kinds of water and crap out its tailpipe along with a gigantic cloud of smoke. :eek:

:cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
All you had to do is make him launch hard and he would have blown a diff... hehehe

·
Registered
18 Posts
I beat out a SVT Cobra a few weeks ago on I-95 in Miami, it was sweet. I was doing a bout 65, and the guy pulled up to me, met eyes, and we both just slammed it. I had a good 5 or 6 lengths on him when I hit 135, then it was over. I slowed down but he kept going. Everytime I race a mustang I beat them and then they just keep driving faster after I slow down. Its like they have something to prove after they lose, so they just drive faster to get away from the embarrassment and dissappear. I dont get it...

·
Registered
51 Posts
CTS-V the first car I test drove

The CTS-V was the first car that I drove, and really the car I wanted until I drove it. No matter how carefully I launched the car, I got rear axle hop. I got hop in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I couldn't believe it. I've alway's driven sticks (for a long...long...too long time) and have never had that happen before. Not to mention that the interior looks like a Cavalier. Plastic everywhere that we have leather and suede. I really do not know why anyone would buy the car, even if you need 4 doors. The old LS 1 ZO 6 engine is pretty awsome though. It just needs to be wound a bit more than ours.

They do make a Sport edition that has the CTS-V look. I hope that is not what you were racing, since it does have the 6.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FastFreddy said:
The CTS-V was the first car that I drove, and really the car I wanted until I drove it. No matter how carefully I launched the car, I got rear axle hop. I got hop in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I couldn't believe it. I've alway's driven sticks (for a long...long...too long time) and have never had that happen before. Not to mention that the interior looks like a Cavalier. Plastic everywhere that we have leather and suede. I really do not know why anyone would buy the car, even if you need 4 doors. The old LS 1 ZO 6 engine is pretty awsome though. It just needs to be wound a bit more than ours.

They do make a Sport edition that has the CTS-V look. I hope that is not what you were racing, since it does have the 6.
I've been looking for another CTS-V to run, one that I'm sure is real. It was not the sport package, It had the front fascia of the V and the mesh grill. This race haunted me til I took the GTO to the track and ripped off a 13.05 at 110 and a 12.895 at 109. Then I knew my car was the real thing and no matter what that Caddy was, it was fast. The performance matched what I would expect from a V, but it could have been a modified 6. I'm sure they make superchargers and other stuff, or the guy could have made his own V. What I really think is that someone really liked the color white and either had the car painted, or paid some premium price to order a white V.
Car and Driver had a real hard time with the V because of the wheel hop. They said they thought they were going to break something. When I started hearing that the GTO had wheel hop I thought back to the CTS-V road test. I have never had wheel hop with my GTO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice times on the 1/4. Not sure if I have seen any sub 13's unmodified. BTW, I also have never had wheel hop on the GTO. Read about the CTS-V wheel hop after I drove the car. Don't remember if it was Autoweek or R&T or maybe both, but they still liked the car, wheel hop, plastic interior and all. Go figure...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FastFreddy said:
Nice times on the 1/4. Not sure if I have seen any sub 13's unmodified. BTW, I also have never had wheel hop on the GTO. Read about the CTS-V wheel hop after I drove the car. Don't remember if it was Autoweek or R&T or maybe both, but they still liked the car, wheel hop, plastic interior and all. Go figure...
It's the Gotta-Have-It thing I think.

It was a lot cooler than it is now when I got those times. My best recent has been 13.2 at 106. But it was 88 degrees and humid, plus there was a slight headwind (5 or so mph). With temps in the 90's, a 45 minute cooldown gets the water temp to 190-195 at the tree and it's at 215 to 220 by the end. I can't wait for the 50 degree days of January. That and some DR's and I'm thinking 12.5's.

D

·
0 Posts
kill

If it was the CTS-V, it should have been a closer race with either one of you winning. Well that's based on the numbers that Motor Trend posted for the '05 CTS-V;

13.1 at 109.8 in the quarter mile.

But as always, it comes down to the driver.

Never go buy what a CAR MAG states. they use a pro driver and all of their times are corrected times for factors like ambient temp and other crap.

GOOD KILL

D

·
0 Posts
kill

It's the Gotta-Have-It thing I think.

It was a lot cooler than it is now when I got those times. My best recent has been 13.2 at 106. But it was 88 degrees and humid, plus there was a slight headwind (5 or so mph). With temps in the 90's, a 45 minute cooldown gets the water temp to 190-195 at the tree and it's at 215 to 220 by the end. I can't wait for the 50 degree days of January. That and some DR's and I'm thinking 12.5's.
GOOD KILL.. a good time for your car should be around 12.8

1 - 20 of 35 Posts