Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of this race is the best part. We both caught a red light. Neither one of us suggested that we wanted to run but we both knew the opportunity to do so was there. The light turned green and I took of part throttle hoping he would gun it and he did. Through 1st and 2nd I was real light on the throttle but I was still able to hold him off. By the time I got to 3rd he was about 3+ cars back. When I shifted to 4th, I think he realized the race was over and slowed. I waited for him to make it to the next stop light. He pulls up and say, "WOW!" I said, "Thanks!" What really got me was he then said, "That made my car look gay." :lol: I laughed and told him that my car was supercharged and putting out just over 600 hp. He then starts raising and lowering his arms (hailing) as he pointed to my car and said, "Very nice." I laughed again and told him he had a nice ride. He gave me a thumbs up and took off pretty good and I creeped through the light and turned around to go back home. Very cool guy.

If he would have had the AMG package it definitely would have been a bit tougher race. But he didn't so there's no need to speculate.

Now the reason I had to turn around and go back home is because the stock brakes weren't enough to slow me down so I could pull into my driveway. I guess upgraded brakes should be the next mod.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Nice!!!! Yea, they say if you build it to go faster you need that much more stopping power as well. Congrats:party:

·
Registered
730 Posts
nice run. it wasn't until a few years ago i realized how valuable brakes are in the need for speed so my mods are usually brakes, suspension, then power.:willy: reminds me of al bundy coming home "no brakes no brakes no brakes" (crash into the garage wall)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
nice run. it wasn't until a few years ago i realized how valuable brakes are in the need for speed so my mods are usually brakes, suspension, then power.:willy: reminds me of al bundy coming home "no brakes no brakes no brakes" (crash into the garage wall)
The speed shop I dealt with in Pittsburgh wouldn't do more than bolt on mods unless you did the brakes, suspension and driveline first. He said he wasn't building a coffin and that's what it'll turn into if you can't stop or turn.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The end of this race is the best part. We both caught a red light. Neither one of us suggested that we wanted to run but we both knew the opportunity to do so was there. The light turned green and I took of part throttle hoping he would gun it and he did. Through 1st and 2nd I was real light on the throttle but I was still able to hold him off. By the time I got to 3rd he was about 3+ cars back. When I shifted to 4th, I think he realized the race was over and slowed. I waited for him to make it to the next stop light. He pulls up and say, "WOW!" I said, "Thanks!" What really got me was he then said, "That made my car look gay." :lol: I laughed and told him that my car was supercharged and putting out just over 600 hp. He then starts raising and lowering his arms (hailing) as he pointed to my car and said, "Very nice." I laughed again and told him he had a nice ride. He gave me a thumbs up and took off pretty good and I creeped through the light and turned around to go back home. Very cool guy.

If he would have had the AMG package it definitely would have been a bit tougher race. But he didn't so there's no need to speculate.

Now the reason I had to turn around and go back home is because the stock brakes weren't enough to slow me down so I could pull into my driveway. I guess upgraded brakes should be the next mod.
I love Mercedes. A friend of mine had an E55 AMG and I got to drive that car a bit. Great car. The brakes were a bit funky, but man that thing was fast. He ran a couple high 11's with only DR's on it.

Nice kill !!!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The new SL550's are like mid 13's so he never stood a chance, lol. Poor guy. If he had been an SL65 like you mentioned, that would have been a very interesting race. But oh well. You gotta love it when you run someone else who is cool and gives props. Nice kill....

·
Registered
32 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2006 CL55 AMG supercharged coupe.It's rated at 497 hp,I have never seen another coupe before,only the 4 door ones have I seen. This car weighs about 4200lbs.This Benz can kick some ass.The cost was around $125K.My full bolt on C5 Vette that puts down 357-360hp at the wheels would probably get beaten at a roll against the Benz.I have driven his car several times and you don't know how fast you are going because the car is so smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2006 CL55 AMG supercharged coupe.It's rated at 497 hp,I have never seen another coupe before,only the 4 door ones have I seen. This car weighs about 4200lbs.This Benz can kick some ass.The cost was around $125K.My full bolt on C5 Vette that puts down 357-360hp at the wheels would probably get beaten at a roll against the Benz.I have driven his car several times and you don't know how fast you are going because the car is so smooth and quiet.
I believe that's the same powertrain as the E55 AMG. The E55 is a low 12 second car and with some good DR's gets into the 11's. Mercedes makes some fast stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would have been a good race. Seeing that I'm lighter and putting more to the ground than his is at the crank, I stand a good chance of putting it to him as well... if I don't screw up. And I put a lot of emphasis on me screwing up because I'm not the best driver out there and I know it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
That would have been a good race. Seeing that I'm lighter and putting more to the ground than his is at the crank, I stand a good chance of putting it to him as well... if I don't screw up. And I put a lot of emphasis on me screwing up because I'm not the best driver out there and I know it.
A man gots to know his limitations!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm a tech for mercedes and ive had the oppurtunity to drive most of the amg cars. Theyre very fast cars. The 55 were alot of supercharged fun but the new 63 motor is a beautiful all motor beast in the cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts