Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 6 years ago i ended up spending 2 nights in jail after being clocked at 160mph in a 70mph zone. From that day on I stopped being stupid and screwing around on the highway. Ill play around every now and then with the low end torque but i leave top speed alone.

It seems like every other day that I have a ricer pull up to me on the highway and rev their 2 liter engines. I pretty much just laugh and keep driving normal because i know its not worth the gas and its definatley not worth going to jail.

Well today i was heading into town to meet a friend and i look in my rear view mirror and i see this mustang pretty much touching my rear bumper. So I smash the peddle down and let it shift into third for just a second to get up to 80 mph and i get in the slow lane to let him pass. I notice as he pulls up next to me that its the new 5.0 liter mustang. He slows down to match my speed and shows that he wants to race.

Normally like every other day i would just blow it off, but I really was interested to see how this one would end up. So i smash the pedal and off we go. We ran two different times from about 70 to 140ish. I am sad to report that the Mustang ate my lunch...TWICE... I mean it wasnt even close. I would hang with him for about 2 seconds and then he would start pulling me hard.

Now i should mention that his car was not stock. The very least he had was an aftermarket (extremely loud) exhaust. And he had a huge sticker across his front windshield that read 3 letter that i can not remember. But still even thought i have an A4 and it was a highway pull and i was running regular 87 gas. I still did not expect to get destroyed that bad.

I love my car and i have never thought it was not fast enough. But today for the first time i felt like i was driving a mini-van. I refuse to be beaten but a freaking Crustang. But maybe Ford finally got something right for once. Needless to say i drove away with my tail tucked between my legs and my head down.

Can someone please drive to Franklin, TN and show this guy what a GTO is capable of because mine is stock and i still cant believe i got spanked by a mustank :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
The windshield sticker adds 15hp lol. The new 5.0's are not to slow

I think its time to mod up my friend. Also i have never put anything under 93 in my car, i wasn't even aware that we could run on 83.

If you were going 160 how did you get pulled over lol? Why would a cop even engage a car going that fast. I would think by the time he puts the car in D and pulls out you would be a long way ahead.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
If you were going 160 how did you get pulled over lol? Why would a cop even engage a car going that fast. I would think by the time he puts the car in D and pulls out you would be a long way ahead.[/QUOTE]

Nothings faster than a police radio.

Not to preach, but I suggest "racing" at the track, I lost a car to a catastrophic nitrous fire street racing years ago. I learned my lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
A stock A4, 5.7 on 87 octane and you're surprised you got beat?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
How do you know it's a 5.7? And as far as the A4 goes, that's no disadvantage. I handed a 2005 M6 with a Texas-Speed 5.3L heads-cam setup with a much more radical cam then mine and only 25 hp separating the 2 of us (my 455 rwhp to his 430 rwhp) his ass twice from a 50 mph roll. (2006, A4, Texas-Speed LS3 heads/cam/Fast intake manifold setup).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Running that low of grade of fuel I'm sure pulled alot of timing out of your motor, it states on the gas cap 93 octane recommended, There are tunes available for that low, But it decreases the performance so much, I haven't ran across any around here yet, Not a bad loss at all, I think Ford finally got it right on the Mustang. Nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well first off. I have 2.4 liters and would totally curb stomp your V8! So dont underestimate the compatetion. Secondly you have a stock GTO and your suprised you lost to a lighter car making more power? I'm getting a new mustang this spring. Amazing car for the money. That is unless my wife gets her way. then I'll be in a new SS. Either way it'll be nice to feel the power going to the right wheels again. I'm not even going to get into the 160 thing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well first off. I have 2.4 liters and would totally curb stomp your V8! So dont underestimate the compatetion. Secondly you have a stock GTO and your suprised you lost to a lighter car making more power? I'm getting a new mustang this spring. Amazing car for the money. That is unless my wife gets her way. then I'll be in a new SS. Either way it'll be nice to feel the power going to the right wheels again. I'm not even going to get into the 160 thing.
Yeah but at the end of the day you drive a neon. Not trying to fight but obviously a pop can with a turbo is faster than a quality built stock N/A GTO. Anything with a stage 3 turbo set up is gonna beat a stock GTO.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i wish i can run in to one i pulled 2 cars on my buddys stock goat with just a couple of bolt ons

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have a 2011 Ford Mustang GT tech. spec. sheet on my computer that says the curb weight is 3605 manual and 3653 automatic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys sorry it took me so long to get back on the forum.. Iv been really busy..

My car in a 6.0 not a 5.7, and I know i should run premium gas but it is my DD and im tight on money right now. To post #7 i assume you have a SRT-4? If so than that is actually the car that I got caught going 160 in :p I had to sell her after that. If you have the Stage 3 than yeah ur gonna kill my stock GTO but at the end of the day your still driving a front wheel drive neon with a fake hood scoop and a huge spoiler and the inside of your car in nothing but trash plastic... I can say all of that because i owned one for 3 years.

I love my GTO and I wish i had the opportunity to purchase the manual tranny but they did not have one. I have always and will always hate mustangs, even if they are the fastest car in the world. Just cant stand the way I fit in them. Im 6'2" and i hate when my head touches the ceiling.

Thank you to the Mod who moved the thread, not quite sure why i put it in general discussion. Sorry about that.

There is a black GTO running around town that has a Turbo badge on the back of it. Hopefully this mustang guy will run into him soon :p

Sry everyone for letting the GTO community down :(

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords just did a test of two GT's, one auto and the other a stick.

Stock at Gainesville racway in 90 degree heat they both ran almost identical 13.5's on street tires. They were having trouble getting traction and the best 60 foot they got was 2.22.

I'd say if they could have hooked the car up and pulled a decent 2.05 sixty foot, the car would have run a 13.2 in 90 degree weather.

Put that in normal conditions and get some traction and you have a high 12's low 13's car.

Should be a deadly close race for a 6.0 GTO. Definately not something to laugh at.

Also, from what I've read, and I've driven a couple 5.0's now too, the engine while strong down low is definate a top end screamer. From a roll there might be an advantage to the Ford till it gets above 120 and aerodynamics starts to come into play.

Ford has a contender now in the hp wars. They fell behind in 1993 with GM putting the LT1 into cars and it's taken them 18 years to finally catch GM. Chrysler is moving forward with a 6.4 liter Hemi with close to 500 hp.

Let's hope GM hasn't really become Government Motors and responds in kind with some more power from the LS3 and the V6 in the base Camaro.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Sry everyone for letting the GTO community down :(
Dude, don't be sorry. Back when I bought my car in 06 (bone stock) a Honda Civic with a garret T3 turbo with 3 people in the car made me look absolutely silly. There's always something faster out there... All you can do is tinker with your car to better your chances the next time... All in a good hunt. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah but at the end of the day you drive a neon. Not trying to fight but obviously a pop can with a turbo is faster than a quality built stock N/A GTO. Anything with a stage 3 turbo set up is gonna beat a stock GTO.
Quality doesn't win races. Horse power and torque does. And that is exactly why you shouldn't underestimate the 2 liter poop box. He might be packing a giant turbo. And at the end of the day you can take pride in you quality built car. He'll be taking pride in beating your more expensive, quality car. I doubt all the quality in the world is going to make you feel better about losing to the kid in the poop box civic or neon.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quality doesn't win races. Horse power and torque does. And that is exactly why you shouldn't underestimate the 2 liter poop box. He might be packing a giant turbo. And at the end of the day you can take pride in you quality built car. He'll be taking pride in beating your more expensive, quality car. I doubt all the quality in the world is going to make you feel better about losing to the kid in the poop box civic or neon.

Actually I wouldn't feel bad at all. At least I know I'll make it home from the track and not be standing on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck. If all I cared about was being the fastest I would probably do something similar. Go find the lightest four wheeled scrap box out there and put a nasty turbo on it. But all that would accomplish would be spending money on something that neither me or anyone else could appreciate. I'll stick with my GTO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
To HP11 who deleted his post: I'll be more than happy to answer all your questions. As a car lover and not a single make nut hugger. I visit all of the car forums instead of just hiding out on the srt forum and trashing other makes and models simply because they are different. I admire the work that goes into making any automobile perform better weather it be a rear drive GTO or in your words a poop box neon. How this all got started was the elitist comment about wasting gas on a 2 liter by the OP. Come on boys you drive Pontiacs not Ferraris. Get off your high horse. I find it lame that you guys sit around with mid 13 second cars and trash everything not GTO. I don't relate to the nut huggers but the members like fergyflyer who can talk about other cars other than GTOs and respect them for what they are, I relate to very well. If you boys feel the need to ban me for not agreeing with you that's fine. You guys can make jokes, but my 11 second car has never left me stranded at the track. That must be another elitest misconception you boys have. Now ban away if you must. This forum will be real interesting with 9 GTO owners telling each other how amazing they all are.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Dude, nobody's banning anybody, not like someone got a home address and started mailing decapitated horse heads out and what not. The comment about mid 13s gtos however... Goats have been out awhile now, and I know from first hand experience at the Friday night cruise ins, out of the 6 GTOs that show up, only 1 is "stock" (Volant CAI and Spintech exhaust, but I still consider such minor bolt ons stock). There is a GTO 10 miles from me that runs consistent 10.9s on nothing more then a cam/heads swap (not even as badass as what I got), rustsetters, a 3500 stall, a weight diet (rear seat delete, sparetire, some bracket in rear bumper, insulation, etc.) and MT drag radials.

The modified LS's are out there. You don't have to drop supercharger or turbocharger money into them to turn heads. It is becoming far easier to turn a stock LS motor into a stupifying street monster then any modular ford loving nut-job, hemi worshiper, or 4 cylinder rice boy or wanna-be rice boy even dare think about. Please, do yourself a favor, and NEVER EVER EVER read an issue of GM High-Tech Performance. Don't even go to the website. I beg you...... or that skittle of yours will be on Craig's list faster then you can say four banger.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.