Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the Z06 to the track.

She is bone stock with paper filters and stock Goodyear F1 Supercars.

I forgot how difficult these cars are to launch. You have to really watch the throttle or it breaks lose and if your not carefull you can get wheelhop. Pretty much like a 6M GTO except more power and less weight with wider tires.

1st pass was a punt, didn't launch great and hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. 13.6 at 110.

2 nd pass had a 2.02 60 foot and I hit the rev limiter in second. Darn thing revs so fast. 12.63 at 116.54.

3rd pass was a keeper. I got it to hook nicely with a 1.93 60 foot and didn't hit the rev limiter, but probably short shifted a bit. 12.49 at 117.12.

4th pass was a 1.96 60' and I hit the rev limiter in 3rd of all gears trying to edge every last bit out of it. 12.55 at 117.12. Exact same mph as the 3rd run. I've never done that in a stickshift, hit the exact same mph back to back.

5th and last pass, the sun had come out and they prepped the track a bit. I got a stellar 1.88 60' on street tires. I hit the shifts decent, not perfect and ran a 12.41 at 117.58.

I think it's got 12.3's stock and with an intake and some good M/T DR's I should be solidly into the 11's.

My mph is pretty high for a stock C5 Z06. Most of the time you see 116 ish. My car has fresh fluids in the rear, transmission, and motor oil, fresh coolant and fresh paper filters that I put in at the track. Don't know what else to say but she ran good.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Wow, you did pretty good. If the wife lets me I want a C5 Z06 but that will be many moons from now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sweet. Fun cars. Aren't you #3 on the Corvette forums fast list?

What psi do guys usually run in the stock F1s (runflats on the Zs, right)? I found with stiff sidewall F1s on the SRT-8s, mid-30s for maximum contact patch is best.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet. Fun cars. Aren't you #3 on the Corvette forums fast list?

What psi do guys usually run in the stock F1s (runflats on the Zs, right)? I found with stiff sidewall F1s on the SRT-8s, mid-30s for maximum contact patch is best.
That was about 5 years ago in my first C5 Z06. My time slip wasn't very readable so they put me at 3rd with a 11.5xx. It was a 11.501 that would have put me in first. I can't argue the point though since I bought the car used and it may have had a tune before I bought it. If it did have a tune then I was in the wrong group.

The C5 Z06 doesn't have runflats. I set mine to 24-26. I've heard everything from 20 to 35 psi.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They clicked off nearly identical trap and 60' times you did ferg: 2004 Z06 Corvette - Features - GM High-Tech Performance
My speeds were pretty close to theirs, but my times need more practice.

That was a great article, thanks.

I was launching a bit more conservatively, so I think next time I might try that 3200 rpm with the quick takeup. What's real funny about that is my 11.501 in my old car happened with M/T's and a 3500 rpm launch. I was trying about 2300-2600 and it hooked hard but would bog a bit and then explode so fast that I couldn't get the shift quite right. Maybe with the higher rpm launch It will be easier to figure out when to shift. I also don't think I'll powershift, just a fast shift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts