Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've inherited a 1970 GTO 455 convertible w/automatic trans, red on red w/black top. The kicker to the whole thing is that it was factory ordered with the 601 Ram Air inlet option which is only supposed to be aesthetic and not functional, but it actually has the 4BBL functional Ram Air carb and cowl. It's a fuctional 455 w/ram air (verified) that is not supposed to exist. It is PHS certified and all #'s matching original. My question is, how rare is this car and can anyone estimate a $$$ on a restored version? Everyone i've talked with seems to think we are sitting on a gem, but i don't have any true Pontiac experts i can rely on. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm much more of a fan of the earlier GTOs, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If it isn't supposed to exist, it probably doesn't. And even if it does, the collective wisdom of the internet disproves reality. Really. I have a friend that makes reproduction guitar pickups. He had a picture of a real PAF humbucker on his site and had people tell him his pickups don't look right because of X,Y, and Z. It's kind of funny, and sad at the same time...

My guess is the linkage and other items were dealer installed.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I'm much more of a fan of the earlier GTOs, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If it isn't supposed to exist, it probably doesn't. And even if it does, the collective wisdom of the internet disproves reality. Really. I have a friend that makes reproduction guitar pickups. He had a picture of a real PAF humbucker on his site and had people tell him his pickups don't look right because of X,Y, and Z. It's kind of funny, and sad at the same time...

My guess is the linkage and other items were dealer installed.
I tend to agree with 64GTOConvertible on this If you want more opinions than you get here, you could try the Ames Pontiac forum, one of the largest. 70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH - PY Online Forums

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In an earlier post, i transcribed '70 455 GTO production. These documented production numbers boil down to 241 factory RamAir induction equipped 455 Turbo 400 cars. No further breakdown between converts & hardtops.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/1970-ram-air-455-ho-s-matching-4sp-c-car-rarity-102697/

Have worked on quite a few '70 455 GTO's, mainly turbo 400 cars. As many factory Ram Air setups have been added over the years, it's very nice to have PHS documentation. Another rarity on the 455 turbo 400 GTO's, most were not ordered with Safe-T-Track (posi).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts