Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
So, when buying tirews, what is appropriate tire age you should ask for?

I'll take a fresh one please. :willy:
I figured there has to be a date code on tires. Save or memorize this tidbit of information.

INSIST on seeing the tires you are purchasing. I know I will.

Date Codes: Every tire has a date code stamped on the sidewall, which gives the date that the tire was manufactured. They look something like this: DOT PDHH MLOR 3403. The date code can be on either side of the tire, so you may have to crawl underneath the rig and look on the inward facing side. The date code always starts with the letters DOT and ends with a 3 or 4 digit number. That last number is the date code, which tells you when the tire was manufactured. The first two numbers indicate the week (out of 52) and the last one or two digits indicate the year. For instance, 3403 means the 34th week of 2003, or the last week in August 2003. Starting with the year 2000, the date codes have two digits for the year, prior to that, only one. A date code of 079 would indicate the seventh week of 1999, or the third week of February 1999.

Tires deteriorate with age, even when sitting on a shelf, so always ask to see the date code when you purchase new tires and insist on tires manufactured within the last few months. The tire dealer may give you a funny look because most consumers don't know about date codes.

I just checked my tires.... 3504 is the last 4 digits.....

35th week of 2004.

I POSTED A STICKY IN THE WHEEL/TIRE SECTION OF THE FORUM FOR REFERENCE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts