Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 yellow A4 gto with 47,000 miles on it from the first owner. Got a this past saturday me and wife looking to trade in my trailblazer for a muistang gt or cobra for myself, stopped at a chevy dealer and saw this and loved it.

It runs great all kinds of torque and power man. Anyways I hear like a clunking/clacking noise from the rear seems like from the middle rear I think. Seems like it happens often when your dealing with the different combination of let the gas pedal out and apllying it again and using the brakes and letting it go and pushing the gas down again.

Like if I was to slow down to a crawl or complete stop and then release the brake and give it gas sometimes it will make that clunking noise like something has play and loose.

Anyone have any info I need to know? Does changing the rear diff fluids help with clanking/clunking loose play symptons? Seems like that will help the common whine the diffs make on these cars right? Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
you stated in the other post that you have the warranty. Just take it into the dealer and have them solve it. It could be a million and one reasons why its doing that. The best bet is since it is free, to let the dealer diagnose it for you. Best of luck :cheers

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Make sure to post the results when you get it fixed too! GM certified is a great thing.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I have it, maybe? I get a click-clack when I change gears, and can hear the diff loading and unloading, but I guess I'm used to it since my old RWD Pontiacs did that too.

It needs some fluid front and back, for sure... it's at 42K and I haven't touched it since I bought it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clunking and growling has been reported in the rear ends. I was a victim of it. The viscosity of the oil breaks down in time. Is this happening to you? If so >>

Internal clunking or growling from the rear diff:
http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/growling-clunking-noise-coming-rear-14102/
This is also for "PONCO DAN" so the more I drive it Im getting the feel of when its happening. When Im driving along in regular constant speed on streets or freeway I hear nothing wrong, even when going over rought bumps, pot holes whatever on the streets the car is going over them smooth and no clanking/loose play type noises.

This loose play clanking noise happens when you brake at low speeds basically and then if you let go of brakes and where to hit the gas then it do that issue.

Yea the gm certified is good but if its a basic diff oil change I like to do it myself since its not to expensive. I thought diffs issues will be only the whines, howles, but bad diffs or oils can really cause something that sounds like it has come loose with play which makes a clanking/clunking noise I dont get it. Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this saturday I might want to lift the back in of the car and see if I can see a issue, does anyone know spots in the back of car to lift with regualr small floor jacks? All I have is regualr size small floor jacks couple of them, floor stands thats it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
SEE: GTO Lifting Locations.gif

(1) Suspension Contact Hoist Lifting Locations
(2) Preferred Frame Contact Lifting and Jacking Locations
(3) Spare Tire Service Jack Lifting Locations and Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations
(4) Optional Floor Jack Lifting Locations

Attachments

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
This is also for "PONCO DAN" so the more I drive it Im getting the feel of when its happening. When Im driving along in regular constant speed on streets or freeway I hear nothing wrong, even when going over rought bumps, pot holes whatever on the streets the car is going over them smooth and no clanking/loose play type noises.

This loose play clanking noise happens when you brake at low speeds basically and then if you let go of brakes and where to hit the gas then it do that issue.

Yea the gm certified is good but if its a basic diff oil change I like to do it myself since its not to expensive. I thought diffs issues will be only the whines, howles, but bad diffs or oils can really cause something that sounds like it has come loose with play which makes a clanking/clunking noise I dont get it. Thanks
It isn't your fluids. Part of buying GM certified used is that they change all the fluids/filters before you buy the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It isn't your fluids. Part of buying GM certified used is that they change all the fluids/filters before you buy the car.
Right I n otice the diff bolts where clean and looked recently removed. Like I said that clanking doesnt seem to be a diff oil issue like GTOJUDGE thinks it is.

SO I guess I'll investegate under the car. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. If not check all of the cradle mounting bolts including the diff mount, exhaust hangers, driveshaft including the carrier in the middle of the driveshaft, brake calipers, suspesion bolts, wheel mounting, with the car in the air grab the wheel w/both hands and shake and CV shafts. Be firm when you check out things grab and shake take the palm of your hand and hit things. Don't worry you won't break nothing if you do then thats your problem:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. If not check all of the cradle mounting bolts including the diff mount, exhaust hangers, driveshaft including the carrier in the middle of the driveshaft, brake calipers, suspesion bolts, wheel mounting, with the car in the air grab the wheel w/both hands and shake and CV shafts. Be firm when you check out things grab and shake take the palm of your hand and hit things. Don't worry you won't break nothing if you do then thats your problem:D
Thanks for the tips I'll report back tommorow give you guys the heads up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sure if the noise I hear is due to this what I found when I lefted my 05 gto on a lift. The flex disc that connects the drive shaft to the tranny up fron location is cracked and loose. Since I have the gm certified 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty I assume they will fix it rigght?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think what you have is a Backlash/Clunk issue. Excessive backlash clunk under acceleration or deacceleration can be caused by any of the follow.
1. Worn differential pinion shaft
2. Worn differential pinion and/or side gears
3. Worn thrust washer
4. Excessive clearance between differential side gears and or bore in case
5. Excessive drive pinion and ring gear backlash

The repairs are probably not cheap but it would be wise to have a Tech. check it out. These rear ends are not an easy fix for your average backyard mechanic.
Good Luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what you have is a Backlash/Clunk issue. Excessive backlash clunk under acceleration or deacceleration can be caused by any of the follow.
1. Worn differential pinion shaft
2. Worn differential pinion and/or side gears
3. Worn thrust washer
4. Excessive clearance between differential side gears and or bore in case
5. Excessive drive pinion and ring gear backlash

The repairs are probably not cheap but it would be wise to have a Tech. check it out. These rear ends are not an easy fix for your average backyard mechanic.
Good Luck
Thanks for the tip maybe I'll print this and show the service writer so they have some tips also to troubleshoot the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problems!!!!

im new to the forum so i thought maybe you guys could help. i have a 05 A4. 37k on it. i have a clunking noise too on stop and go. usually at low speeds when taking off but clunks and the stop too. im thinking U-joints but not sure. any ideas? its driving me nuts. another weird thing is just one day my front passenger tire started rubbing the plastic inside the wheel wells. any help guys?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
im new to the forum so i thought maybe you guys could help. i have a 05 A4. 37k on it. i have a clunking noise too on stop and go. usually at low speeds when taking off but clunks and the stop too. im thinking U-joints but not sure. any ideas? its driving me nuts. another weird thing is just one day my front passenger tire started rubbing the plastic inside the wheel wells. any help guys?
I would start by changing the rear end fluid. That should get rid of the clunking that you are having. The RF tire rubbing the plastic is normal for some. My 18's do it not my stock 17's. I would also check your radius rod bushings too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got band new fluids in it. Actually just changed all of them except the trans. I do have aftermarket blacked out TSW 18s on there. I may check that bushing. We did get a little bit of water over here like 2 weeks ago. I was driving and hit a dip to where water was up to my headlights. Flooded out and quickly pushed it out of the dip. After 3 days of sun and fans it was alright... dont know if it has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the rear diff fluid i just realized i put in 75w.... ewwwwww damn. Just found out we need the 85w correct? If so im going to go ahead with the royal purple... already has the additive

·
Registered
118 Posts
ya the clunking happens to most of the a4's, including mine, but some of the noise your hearing may be coming from the transmission, i have the alldata program and theres a bunch of service bulletins on transmissions bangin hard when they shift with 4l65e. u may think its the diff but im skeptical. i put in a different diff and the same thing happened.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts