Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
re

Well I will experiment with these springs and see how they fit our GTO I got my Fingers cross.-----Danfigg

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I don't think you can just look at springs and say hey, they look the same so they work. They all have different spring rates, ect.. It isn't a simple yes or no. They may fit, but they may also not have a proper spring rate or even be strong enough to handle the weight, ect...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
re

Well first of all, the car will not know or care what spring is in it. There are three types of coil springs. double open end, open end- pigtail end, and double pigtail ends like our GTO. These springs are out of a car that weight's in at 4020 pounds with a with a weight distribution of 50f/50r 2010 pounds front and rear. Our GTO weight 3750 W/D 54f/46r 2025 pounds front 1725 rear. These springs are 10 inches tall extended like our GTO springs and look like they will be able to handle the rear weight of our GTO with not problems and no sag not by the picture but buy the info that I got from the vehicle they came out of and the seller of the springs. For 38 dollars shipped I couldnt resist. If they work I will share the info. If they dont I will resell them. I have a hook at FED EX for shipping no big deal. You dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to make your car ride good.-------Danfigg

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Well first of all, the car will not know or care what spring is in it. There are three types of coil springs. double open end, open end- pigtail end, and double pigtail ends like our GTO. These springs are out of a car that weight's in at 4020 pounds with a with a weight distribution of 50f/50r 2010 pounds front and rear. Our GTO weight 3750 W/D 54f/46r 2025 pounds front 1725 rear. These springs are 10 inches tall extended like our GTO springs and look like they will be able to handle the rear weight of our GTO with not problems and no sag not by the picture but buy the info that I got from the vehicle they came out of and the sell of the springs. For 38 dollars shipped I couldnt resist. If they work I will share the info. If they dont I will resell them. I have a hook at FED EX for shipping no big deal. You dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to make your car ride good.-------Danfigg
Enjoy wrecking your car, or best case it driving like crap. There is more too it then just weight and length.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Well first of all, the car will not know or care what spring is in it. There are three types of coil springs. double open end, open end- pigtail end, and double pigtail ends like our GTO. These springs are out of a car that weight's in at 4020 pounds with a with a weight distribution of 50f/50r 2010 pounds front and rear. Our GTO weight 3750 W/D 54f/46r 2025 pounds front 1725 rear. These springs are 10 inches tall extended like our GTO springs and look like they will be able to handle the rear weight of our GTO with not problems and no sag not by the picture but buy the info that I got from the vehicle they came out of and the seller of the springs. For 38 dollars shipped I couldnt resist. If they work I will share the info. If they dont I will resell them. I have a hook at FED EX for shipping no big deal. You dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to make your car ride good.-------Danfigg
True, your car won't know what springs are on them. Your tires might. If the springs fit make sure your ride height is correct and the car maintains proper rear alignment or the money you saved on a set of springs may go towards new tires.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re

Well I have read where GTO coil springs were used in other GM cars. Are GTO springs magic springs that work in other cars with no problems but springs from other cars wont work in our GTO's. Do you guys actually work on your own cars or do you have other people work on it for you. If these springs im trying hasnt killed any one or hasnt caused people to crash there vehicle with these springs, than I dont see them causing a GTO to crash or go off the road. Coil springs have been swapped out of numerous cars and placed in other cars with no problems. I will share the news with you all as to if they work or they dont work, simple. These springs have the same height extended which is 10 inches and will compress, that is installed with the vehicles weight on them, to what I hope is about 8 inches unless the spring rate is to strong. So worst case scenario is the car will sit to high. Even if this does happen you shouldnt crash your car unless you dont know how to drive. A soft ass compliments a mushy brain if some folks are afraid to use there Brain and come up with viable solutions to thing. Have faith be safe. I will be putting them on in the beginning of March as I leave for VACA on 2-11-10 to sunny Florida------------Danfig

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Well I have read where GTO coil springs were used in other GM cars. Are GTO springs magic springs that work in other cars with no problems but springs from other cars wont work in our GTO's. Do you guys actually work on your own cars or do you have other people work on it for you. If these springs im trying hasnt killed any one or hasnt caused people to crash there vehicle with these springs, than I dont see them causing a GTO to crash or go off the road. Coil springs have been swapped out of numerous cars and placed in other cars with no problems. I will share the news with you all as to if they work or they dont work, simple. These springs have the same height extended which is 10 inches and will compress, that is installed with the vehicles weight on them, to what I hope is about 8 inches unless the spring rate is to strong. So worst case scenario is the car will sit to high. Even if this does happen you shouldnt crash your car unless you dont know how to drive. A soft ass compliments a mushy brain if some folks are afraid to use there Brain and come up with viable solutions to thing. Have faith be safe. I will be putting them on in the beginning of March as I leave for VACA on 2-11-10 to sunny Florida------------Danfig
The point is what we are saying why not buy the proper springs for your car why get some unknown ebay springs and throw in there. If you can't afford springs save up for some they are not that expensive. Why buy a nice car and buy unknown springs to put under it? GTO springs may have been used in other GM cars like other Holdens, Cadilac Catera/Opel Omega. People on the forum is looking out for you if you don't appriciate the advice then don't ask questions.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
My question is, should we continue posting information that could potentially become a safety hazard? I'm not sure publishing information that no one has hard evidence this setup will not harm the car, or more importantly, the driver, is a wise move. Many people read these threads and I would hate to see someone try a non conventional setup and get seriously hurt. If a person wants to experiment with their own car, that's their own business. But, I'm not sure we should continue posting this information, good, bad or otherwise. Just my .02...............

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re

Got my coil springs in today and holy crap are they beefy. I cant wait to put them in when i get back from vacation. If the Moderator wish to banish this post then by all means this is your site edit as you wish. As for the make of the vehicle these coil spring are out of. The company that made them did not skimp like GM did that is all im gonna say on that note.---------Danfigg

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
My question is, should we continue posting information that could potentially become a safety hazard? I'm not sure publishing information that no one has hard evidence this setup will not harm the car, or more importantly, the driver, is a wise move. Many people read these threads and I would hate to see someone try a non conventional setup and get seriously hurt. If a person wants to experiment with their own car, that's their own business. But, I'm not sure we should continue posting this information, good, bad or otherwise. Just my .02...............
Actully its a good idea to post information like this and have feedback like we had in this thread. Thats how people learn and get important info, to minimize the likelyhood of people doing the samething and getting repettive post.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
I say let this thread continue on. Danfigg has said that he will post results, good or bad, once he has them installed. Hopefully nothing too bad will happen preventing him to share his experience.

To a point I do agree with danfigg. But on the other hand, what others are saying is if you buy a spring that is "GTO" specific then you will feel more confident knowing that the springs will fit properly and/or perform in a safe manner. Now the reason I do agree with him is because I have "0" drop springs that are the same height as the stock rear springs but have a higher spring rate to prevent sagging which is no different than the set up he's going with except his aren't "GTO" specific springs. I ordered the springs because they were listed as "GTO" springs not because of what the spring rate was. If danfigg has done the research on the springs/spring rates then I think he knows more about his springs than most of us because most site that sell Eibach, Pedder's, etc. never disclose the spring rates as it may be proprietary information but they will post spring height which doesn't translate to a predetermined spring rate.

Here's an example of a site that sells springs for the GTO. Tell me if you see the spring rates listed because I didn't see any;
Gravana - Featured Products

So honestly, how many of you know for sure what spring rates you are running instead of just knowing that the springs will fit on a GTO?

dafigg: Don't take constructive critism too personal. From what I see, members are more concerned for your safety than anything.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Actully its a good idea to post information like this and have feedback like we had in this thread. Thats how people learn and get important info, to minimize the likelyhood of people doing the samething and getting repettive post.
I say let this thread continue on. Danfigg has said that he will post results, good or bad, once he has them installed. Hopefully nothing too bad will happen preventing him to share his experience.

dafigg: Don't take constructive critism too personal. From what I see, members are more concerned for your safety than anything.
Before you guys posted I had decided to let this thread continue. Basically, I wanted to convey the idea that it's not a good practice to use parts not GTO specific. What we don't want is someone going down the road on their lid because they "thought" a suspension modification would work. Dafigg seems to have done his research, the next guy may not. Even tho there is alot of people with tremendous knowledge on this forum, modifications on the geometry of their car is probably not a strong area for most. I know I definitely fall into that category. Safety First! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts