Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys has anyone put new bushings in their rear cradle/subframe ? My question is do you have to change the bolt ? The Pedders bolts are about $50 for two bolts. To me that seems alittle high. Can I use a regular 10.5 grade from the hardware store if I have to replace it ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:willy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Guys has anyone put new bushings in their rear cradle/subframe ? My question is do you have to change the bolt ? The Pedders bolts are about $50 for two bolts. To me that seems alittle high. Can I use a regular 10.5 grade from the hardware store if I have to replace it ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:willy:
I know a bit about Torque-to-Yield bolts... But don't know how to check whether these bolts have stretched too much to re-use.

It's probably worth the $50 to NOT have to worry about whether your old bolts were OK to re-use.

BOB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know,I don't want the rearend falling out. It just seems that everything for the GTO 04-06 is two or three times more than any other car. Then top it off with all of theese tty bolts,it makes little projects real expensive.

How much are the factory bolts ?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I have to find my recept, but I think I paid less than $50 for the cradle and diff to body mount bolts. I got a small discount too because I'm military. But the list price is on my recept too. I've heard of some folks reusing the stock bolts without any problems, some add some locktight to them for insurance.

You can try here too: gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to find my recept, but I think I paid less than $50 for the cradle and diff to body mount bolts. I got a small discount too because I'm military. But the list price is on my recept too. I've heard of some folks reusing the stock bolts without any problems, some add some locktight to them for insurance.

You can try here too: gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog
I could not find the bolts on the link above. Did you find out how much you paid for your bolts ?
I have not had time to go to my non-Pontiac dealer to get a price.

·
Registered
336 Posts
you can check if your bolts are still good pretty simply. you just look real closely at the threds and if they look like a bottle neck and the threds are stretched out then they need replaced. secondly if they do need replaced the bolts usually have some markings on them they may be a number or dash marks and that will indicate the strenght of the bolt. and you can take it too your hardware store and get the same thing. odds are you'll be fine reusing the bolts just lock tight them and you'll be fine i would definatly retorque from time to time

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I could not find the bolts on the link above. Did you find out how much you paid for your bolts ?
I have not had time to go to my non-Pontiac dealer to get a price.
Wow, I forgot sorry about that. I'll give you the list price:
X-member bolt pt#92038482(2 req.) $18.70
Diff to body bolt pt#92138390(4 req.) $5.35

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks guys ! I will check mine and now that I have the part numbers I can call the dealership and get a price to order them if needed.
If theese are torque to yield they should have some stretch limit to them like rod bolts do.
Just a thought.
Atleast the dealer prices are cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts