Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys retro fitted a real rear end into your GTO? The M80 is a real POS. Both Dana and GM have told me "good luck, you're on your own" with that one.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Haven't done it yet. My POS has lasted 10 years with quite a few launches and up to ~480 RWHP so far. gForce has a 9" kit but be prepared to drop $4,300 plus install on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear end

My local Gm deal said they changed a bunch of these rear ends under warranty. ie they were young and junk. and.. mine is hosed. $4300 is unreal. You can get a complete moser dana 60 with axles(mopar) for $2000

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Welcome to the GTO world. Back when they were new 10 years ago a lot of people complained about them whining. That was before everybody swapped out their exhaust to make the car louder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can i drop the differential with the rear of the car on ramps? Not sure if the axles need to rotate to disconnect.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
You can. You just need to unbolt the half shafts from the stubs. The bolts holding the pumpkin are on the top along with the sway bar anchor and are a bit of a pain to get at but doable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do the manuals tell you to mark the drive axles before removing from the stubs? I dont see how this could be a balancing or assembly issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts