Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you all might like to see what happens when an F350 super duty pickup is driven into the back of a 65 GOAT at 40 mph or so while stopped in a line of traffic. I had just finished a complete dash/gauge/everything in front of the front seat restoration and two days before he hit me I had installed and dialed in the original carb and manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow sorry for your loss there brother, got both ends too. I don't know what I would do if I lost my baby. Hope everyone is OK physically.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Did the idiot say why he couldn't drive his vehicle?
Sorry for your loss, made me sick looking at those pics and I hope you get enough money out of that idiot for two GTOs and then some.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, I feel really sorry for you. I hope you weren't hurt. Hopefully you don't get the run around from his insurance company.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Did the idiot say why he couldn't drive his vehicle?
Sorry for your loss, made me sick looking at those pics and I hope you get enough money out of that idiot for two GTOs and then some.
To borrow from Shoeman: That sucks. Hope you walked away. Send pics of your new one. Stay safe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Both ends to boot...that sucks ! Tell the ins co your keeping the car too...for spare parts. My neck would be real sore after that hit....it may take 3-5 days before you feel the effects. Hope your ok.....wearing the "lap" belt ?? Like others said ...Iam sick looking at those pics......probably texting

·
Registered
7 Posts
In florida, I don't know about anywhere else, there is uninsured motorist insurance that you have that takes over when he does not have insurance or his insurance runs out.

Don

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Yeah, those pictures are hard to look at.....Hopefully car was appraised and you get the full value, enough to get another if you choose.

The fortunate thing is that you are ok, I told myself a long time ago that the car was nothing but metal, glass and rubber and can always be replaced.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I think I'm going to throw up. Truly a sickening sight. That was a super neat car....love the post, parchment and AC......glad you are ok. Beware the other guys insurance company, and don't settle on physical stuff too soon.....I was rear ended like you in 2000 while sitting at an intersection on my motorcycle.....and my banged up ankle that felt ok shortly after is STILL telling me when it's going to rain, 15 years later. Insurance companies are in business to NOT pay out when their client is at fault. Stay alert, hold your ground, and get your compensation. You need to figure out what a full replacement of your '65 will cost.....and don't discount all the 'free' labor you did on yours. Figure out what it would cost for a professional shop to fix or replace your car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, those pictures are hard to look at.....Hopefully car was appraised and you get the full value, enough to get another if you choose.

The fortunate thing is that you are ok, I told myself a long time ago that the car was nothing but metal, glass and rubber and can always be replaced.

2nd that!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
..it happens, and first, would like to note, am sensitive to drivers and passengers that are injured. Problem is, such is often too common a fate with regularly street driven near 50 year old muscle cars. If your GTO was the next to never driven on the street car, am sincerely sorry! my problem is, have had customer after customer over the last 25 years that's GTO's, LeMans converts, 442's, have suffered a very similar fate because they saw their decently restored, occasionally original paint muscle cars as interchangeable with regular transportation.

A local '69 GTO convert resto mod was one of the last to suffer the fate. The convert was on a shakedown run while not even complete, less than 3 miles from shop owners home when it was whacked hard as owner pulled it off on the shoulder. the car honestly would not have sold at auction for over 30K, as it was such a quickly built LS engined mess, but the insurance settlement was over 50K. Smashed so hard from the rear, it needed another boxed convert frame, all rear body structure, bucket seats, interior panels, top, and steering wheel replaced. Even the convert rear 1/4 inner wheelhouses/inner rear 1/4 window structure area need replaced, which along with the frame, I provided out of mildly rusty and bumped 1/4 panel '69 Cutlass convert I had processed for parts years ago. Owner is a local body shop owner with all the best of equip. Rebuilding of the GTO convert was on again off again process in his shop for nearly 18 months. Even money, it gets destroyed again, just too many inattentive idiots on our local congested roads/urban expressways.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Oh man!!! This is heartbreaking to see.

When are the funeral services for the other driver?

Bear

:lol::rofl::laugh: I would probably melt down right there if this happened to me. Having it happen to your regular everyday driver is one thing but a classic, especially if you have restored it with your own two hands is a whole 'nother thing.

:eek2: :shutme

OP, how'd you keep your cool? :Angel_anim:

·
Registered
918 Posts
:lol::rofl::laugh: I would probably melt down right there if this happened to me. Having it happen to your regular everyday driver is one thing but a classic, especially if you have restored it with your own two hands is a whole 'nother thing.

:eek2: :shutme

OP, how'd you keep your cool? :Angel_anim:
Ditto, especially after all my hard work (blood sweat and tears) went down the drain!!! I would have lost it!!!

Makes me physically sick to see that, sorry man!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The pictures were heart breaking. I think I would have sauntered on back to the truck, asked the driver if he was OK and then punched him in the mouth! :boxing_smiley: I hope you make out with the insurance and you're OK physically. Was the driver dickin with his phone or chompin on a whopper?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts