Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to locate my receipt for a posi differential rebuild that I had done on my 65 GTO a few years back. This car is still in the final restoration phase and has not been driven. Looks like I have misplaced the bill and am trying to recall the gears that were installed. I seem to recall 2:78. Not sure if that combination exists, but would like to know if anyone has that combination. Also would that gear ratio work with a Turbo 400? I should mention that the car has a rebuilt 389 with Tripower. Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
2.78 is a stock ratio, an excellent high speed, mpg, and cruising gear. It will work great with the TH400. I swapped out the 3.36 gear in my TH400-equipped '67 a couple of years back with a 2.56 gear, and I love the fuel economy and comfortable highway cruising. 75 mph is about 2450 rpm....and 3000 rpm is a tick over 90mph. With $4 fuel, it sure is nice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Finally found my paper work and 2:78 is correct. I have been working on this project for so many years I have to rely on my bills to help recall what I had done on the internals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts