Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how hard it would be install quarter panel scoops. What I had in mind was buying those ricer things here:

http://www.andysautosport.com/products.php?id=Po04GTO&make=Pontiac&mcat=Exterior&scat=Scoops

Then cutting holes in the body to make them functional and therefore not rice. Maybe add some mesh if necessary. The Woodward GTO's scoops are functional, aren't they? I'm not even sure how/where to cut the holes. My brother says his '04 Cobra's scoops are functional, but I don't see holes anywhere.

I think the Porsche Boxter scoops could possibly look nice on a GTO, but there's no way I'm going to be the first to try this. Has anyone done something similar to their GTO? Does anyone have any input? Thanks.

G

·
quarter panel?

ram air quarter panels? sneaking your buddies into the drive in movies? blow dry your laundry? why would you want quarter panels to flow air? :rofl:

G

·
great idea!

one better, use a jig saw open rt side of rear bumper cover,install 2 dryer hoses from newly cut hole (ala 05') run hoses to rear brake shields attach
the vacumn created by the suction of the car going thru the atmosphere
and defeated mustangs falling behind will cool our miniature brakes and we will look cool too! functional!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ramairws6 said:
ram air quarter panels? sneaking your buddies into the drive in movies? blow dry your laundry? why would you want quarter panels to flow air? :rofl:
they cool the breaks. but that's just an excuse to make your car look cooler :D

EDIT: I'm soo sorry, ramair. I meant "brakes", not "breaks". If u want to file a lawsuit, i'll understand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ramairws6 said:
one better, use a jig saw open rt side of rear bumper cover,install 2 dryer hoses from newly cut hole (ala 05') run hoses to rear brake shields attach
the vacumn created by the suction of the car going thru the atmosphere
and defeated mustangs falling behind will cool our miniature brakes and we will look cool too! functional!
Is that one big sentence? I hate to be a grammar police, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.

G

·
?????????

stop making me laugh!!!!!,the scoop, duct or whatever looks terrible.
drive ins are fun,if they charge you per person,install the scoops put a few pals in the trunk,save money at the drive in! leave the gto alone,with money saved buy a prelude and a plasma torch "think of the possibilities"! :party:

G

·
give me a break

chris8299s said:
Is that one big sentence? I hate to be a grammar police, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.
nice pictures see if you can install grumpo and his yellow fugly z28 fbody
striped grand am on a pinhead for rocket scientists to scan with their
banjos or mullet magnifiers! love joe dirt!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If they were functional-- as in if they actually cooled the brakes via ducting or something-- they'd be kinda cool....though I personally think NACA scoops would look cooler and less pretensious.

If not, tres dorki.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Folks, he asks a fair question so let's give him a fair answer.

I thought the photo shop image looked good, better than the '05 hood scoops, but don't get me started on that subject. As to functionality, side scoops on front engined cars usually cool the brakes and/or the differential with the brakes being the priority. To be functional you would need to fabricate a flexible duct (try Racer Parts Wholsale for materials) connecting the scoop the the inside-center of the rear rotors. Be sure to avoid dips in the hose that will trap rain water and carefully seal all joints and connections or you will get water in the car. I would be interested in seeing photos of the finished mod so be sure to let me know if you do it.

Warren

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ramairws6 said:
im as dumb as u. i too own a gto! i love long run on sentences, my english
teacher was correct. two scoops of raisens in kellogs racing brain! "scoops
big jim, im with you fellers :agree
Wow, ramair. it's just a picture. not even a photo, it's a photochop. i didn't mean to hurt your feelings so bad as to cause you to make all these personal attacks. Every appearance mod starts out as a picture. If you don't like it, that's cool. Relax and calm down. No one is going to put this on your GTO.

Big Jim, I've read your posts in other threads. You seem to be an intelligent person. Look at ramair's posts again. Do you see the intelligence gap between you and him? In this thread you're coming across as his sidekick and it looks really insulting to yourself. If you don't like the scoops, just make the comment, but enough with these "yes, boss you're right. soo funny, boss. i agree, boss" type posts.

I would never dream of putting these on any car if they were not functional. That would be rice and that's all there is to it. A lot of exotic cars have similar brake coolers. Since the GTO is so heavy, its brakes could use the coolers more than any exotic I've seen. I'm not getting an overwhelmingly positive response for the Boxster scoops. There are many scoops to choose from. I do know one thing for sure: People love the Woodward GTO. A lot of people have been trying to make their car look like the Woodward. Putting scoops in the quarter panel would be a step in that direction. Perhaps psychologically people don't like my idea of putting scoops there because it comes from a regular person and not a group of GM employees. Perhaps if I had come up with the Woodward GTO idea first, people would not like it simply because I'm just a regular guy.

G

·
calm down

its a good idea but a try a differant style. look at the body lines hey if you like it dont sweat it,thats all that matters!
lets see some of those naca scoops the yellow dude is talking about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
chiggady china the chinese chicken

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.