Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this idea briefly in another thread. The premise is to improve the rear seat access on our goats.

Has anyone removed the front seats yet on the new goats? My idea would be to swap the channels for longer ones, thus allowing further forward seat travel. In addition either speed-up the forward travel of the electric motor or even have a separate manual slide or even a tilt like that of a Jeep Wrangler.. Is there anything I'm missing on this longer channel idea?

Please, let's brainstorm to one of the only poorly designed features of these cars! (I'm still dreaming up a better gas tank location scheme to get back some trunk space...). :cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Wondering if just replacing the tracks with those found in the Jeep is possible. If you could keep the original seat motor drives, etc. -- that would be a perfect solution. Shame our seats don't tilt up and forward to get the hell out of the way immediately.

Regarding the gas tank, check out the Short Fill thread. There's a link where you can see photos of the entire gas tank and filler neck assembly. Some guy was installing Konis and had to yank every iota of carpet out of the trunk to bolt them in.

Since swapping the GTO tank for a previous year Monaro tank would no doubt cost a fortune, the only thing I think might work without spending thousands is to purchase a racing fuel cell and fitting into the area of the trunk floor currently occupied by the spare tire.

Think of it. You pick up the space from the spare -- easy. Although I haven't completely removed all those plastic panels underneath the car in front of the rear bumper -- there are definitely hallow spots above them. You get someone to cut out that part of the trunk floor and fabricate a vented box. The fuel cell gets plopped in (with double walls and a rubber bladder you won't get incinerated if someone rear ends you). The last part is to find some kind of elegant way to run the filler neck down to the tank. Shouldn't be too hard if you can find a little space forward to the left of the box you put in. The fuel pump and gauge components could be routed around underneath the floorpan. Carpet goes over the top.

Drawback? No spare. You could either go with runflats or toss one of those new emergency repair kits from Slime in your trunk. In fact, if you bought one of those first, you could leave a little space under the trunk mat so you don't have it rattling around back there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts