Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 65 GTO I recently purchased does not have rear seat belts in it. In fact I do not see any bolt holes in the areas where they would be attached to the floor. The car does have the Factory Front Seat Belts. Would rear seat belts have been an option in 65? I know that seat belts were still kind of new to the scene in those years. I would have thought that the floor board would have had the holes in it in case the car was ordered with them. I am not sure how I can properly install them if there are no mounting holes for them.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
good question, my '65 only came with fronts also. ive had the back seat out but never bothered to check for mounting holes. if they exist, the mounting holes would be there whether they were ordered or not. rickm.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
'65's did not come with mounting holes. If rear seat belts were ordered, they were usually dealer installed with thru-bolts and large flat washers. My own '65 came with no seatbelts at all. I added them to the front back in the '80's, but am still beltless in the rear. (that sounded strange!!)

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the information on the seat belts. I have already in the two days I have been posting had several questions and concerns answered. This Forum is great

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good question. Don't know about the '65, but I can tell you according to my original '64 accessories book seat belts and seat belt retractor (code 624) AND the standard belts with out retractors (code 411) were available in harmonizing colors. This was a dealer installed accessory for LeMans, Tempest and Custom. Doesn't mention any belts for the rear, but I bet it could have been done. I'm assuming this was unchanged for '65.

Going further back, the front AND rear belts were offered in the Buicks in 1958, also as a Buick GM engineer approved accessory. I have one of those original booklets as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts