Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their rear spoiler removed? Any idea of the process?

I'm seriously thinking about removing the spoiler from the rear of my car. I just like the smoother, cleaner look, and I don't think that the rear spoiler adds much in terms of downforce until reaching extremely high speeds...speeds of which I frankly don't plan on reaching in my car.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
410 Posts
I removed mine last weekend because it was blocking me from seeing cars that were tailgating me at night. It did not take long. used the claws of a hammer to pop 2 of the plastic clips on the inside to get at the wire connection. Its located on the lower right corner of the trunk lid when you stand looking at it. I had to use pliers to grip the ends of the studs so they did not turn out when I used the open end wrench to take off the four nuts (not sure I needed to do that but did it just the same because I did not want the studs to come out.)

I had already gone to Ace hardware and bought black plastic hole plugs - very thin on top - one 3/4 inch plug and four 3/8 inch plugs. Lowe's also had them but I liked the look of the Ace ones better. I then sanded them, painted them with touch-up paint, then clear coated them. I used P&G Parts to get my touch-up because the dealer did not have any and they and a 100% mark up. Bought both the small spray can and the small brush/tube. The spray can did not match but the tube paint did. It worked ok. I had to wet sand the 3/4 inch one twice before I was pleased with its finish.

When they were dry, I used a rubber mallet to pop the small ones in. Used a tiny amount of clear silicon on the 3/4 one to seal it (installed by hand).

Now I can see the tailgaters at night, plugs are not that noticeable, the car's looks are still good. I'm interested to see if it actually makes a small difference in gas mileage at highway speeds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Somebody makes a kit for filling the holes from removing the spoiler. I saw it somewhere on the web while looking for parts. I do not recall who it was but it out there

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it looks better with the rear spoiler removed. Gives it a cleaner look. Any body shop should be able to provide fillers for the holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xman said:
I had already gone to Ace hardware and bought black plastic hole plugs - very thin on top - one 3/4 inch plug and four 3/8 inch plugs. Lowe's also had them but I liked the look of the Ace ones better. I then sanded them, painted them with touch-up paint, then clear coated them. I used P&G Parts to get my touch-up because the dealer did not have any and they and a 100% mark up. Bought both the small spray can and the small brush/tube. The spray can did not match but the tube paint did. It worked ok. I had to wet sand the 3/4 inch one twice before I was pleased with its finish.
Thanks for the note, this sounds like a great solution. What is P&G? Where did you find the paint? I've got a Barbados Blue, so it may not be as easy to find.

Thanks again,
Will

·
Registered
410 Posts
Most body shops will charge $500+ to fill and repaint the trunk lid. The covers that one person was selling on the forum were 1/4 inch thick and $60 to $70 depending on the color.

Ace plugs totalled $1.25 and paint was less than $10. I felt this option would look better than thick covers. An easy low cost option to try the sans spoiler out.

The 3/4 inch one is the most noticable but you are seeing the dust and the flash accentuate the plug in the picture. If you look on the other side of the trunk lid (below the GMC on the Yukon), you can hardly make out the two 3/8 plugs. These plugs are very thin.

P&G on-line is sales is below. They charge you a fair price without overcharging on shipping to make up for their low cost. Call and ask for Mike - have your VIN with you or he can't look up your paint code.

https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php
Parts Zone Online
1848 Smith Twp.
State Rd.
Slovan, PA 15078
(toll free) 1.888.870.0280 x214
(P) 1.724.947.9590 x214
(F) 1.724.947.2657
[email protected]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS! That is great information. I'm going to order the paint tomorrow, and try to find the plugs. I was worried that this would be a complicated project, but it appears to be fairly straightforward. What I REALLY like about this solution is that I can always put the spoiler back on, like when/if I decide to sell the car.

Thanks Again,
will

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered the paint today, and picked up the Nylon Plugs this morning. As soon as the paint comes in, the Spoiler is coming off. I'll post pics after I get it done.

-Will

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used the claws of a hammer to pop 2 of the plastic clips on the inside to get at the wire connection. Its located on the lower right corner of the trunk lid when you stand looking at it.
Xman,

I was able to get to the wire, but I could not find any connection point to disconnect. I can't figure out where or how to disconnect the wire in order to remove the Spoiler. Did you simply cut the wire, or is there some sort of connecting point?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess What! I found the connection point. I had misunderstood your instructions and pulled the wrong caps inside the trunk. The Spoiler is now removed. Cleaning the trunk, then inserting the caps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say 3/8 and 3/4 inch plugs, what dimension are you referring to? Is it the outside diameter of the cap, the outside diameter of the plug, or the diameter of the solid shaft inside the 'teeth' of the plug.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3/4 and 3/8 diameters are simply the diameter of the hole to be filled. Most hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) have these plastic/nylon pieces in bags, and marked as 3/4 or 3/8.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
386 Posts
dallascajun said:
The 3/4 and 3/8 diameters are simply the diameter of the hole to be filled. Most hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) have these plastic/nylon pieces in bags, and marked as 3/4 or 3/8.

Good Luck!
Or got to caplugs.com and order a them as a free trial set.

I will be removing my spoiler when it warms up around here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
dallascajun said:
I'm seriously thinking about removing the spoiler from the rear of my car. I just like the smoother, cleaner look, and I don't think that the rear spoiler adds much in terms of downforce until reaching extremely high speeds...speeds of which I frankly don't plan on reaching in my car.

Any thoughts???
this may be a non issue, but FYI -- a spoiler isn't really intended to provide a downforce. it's used to create air turbulence at the rear of your car when you're moving. the turbulence causes air to whip around and fill the low pressure area directly behind you as your car pushes thru the air. this reduces drag. which also improves fuel efficiency.

sorry, it's the engineer in me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
skibum100_777 said:
a spoiler isn't really intended to provide a downforce.
Actually, you are completely incorrect. The purpose of the spoiler is to create down force on the body of a car to compensate for the lack of increasing the weight. The weight of a car is the only thing that forces the tires down on the pavement; creating inertia. Increasing the weight of the vehicle isn't the most popular solution so the spoiler works like an airplane wing, only upside down; so instead of lifting into the air, you are forced onto the pavement.

skibum100_777 said:
this reduces drag. which also improves fuel efficiency.
As a result of the spoiler, drag is generated; this is bad as it slows down the vehicle. Engineers compute a ratio called the “lift/drag” ratio that maximizes down force but minimizes drag.

skibum100_777 said:
sorry, it's the engineer in me. :rolleyes:
No, I’m sorry, it’s the engineer in me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sboylan said:
Actually, you are completely incorrect. The purpose of the spoiler is to create down force on the body of a car to compensate for the lack of increasing the weight. The weight of a car is the only thing that forces the tires down on the pavement; creating inertia. Increasing the weight of the vehicle isn't the most popular solution so the spoiler works like an airplane wing, only upside down; so instead of lifting into the air, you are forced onto the pavement.

As a result of the spoiler, drag is generated; this is bad as it slows down the vehicle. Engineers compute a ratio called the “lift/drag” ratio that maximizes down force but minimizes drag.

No, I’m sorry, it’s the engineer in me.
hey, i'll tell you what. you can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. but, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

no, i meant, you can get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... no, wait. it's gotta be your bull.

i stand corrected. i didn't do too well in fluid dynamics. :) but there's no need for your tone, sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
let me know how this turns out dallascajun. are you from louisiana and where? i am from New Iberia and also have the Barbados Blue A4.

·
Registered
314 Posts
skibum100_777 said:
hey, i'll tell you what. you can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. but, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

no, i meant, you can get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... no, wait. it's gotta be your bull.

i stand corrected. i didn't do too well in fluid dynamics. :) but there's no need for your tone, sean
After reading my post in a subjective matter I realize that the tone set was extremely wrong. With that said, I do sincerely apologize and let me clarify no harm was ever intended.

Sorry once again.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts